Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 medals

Article about: Hi all Can anyone confirm if the medals are ok. Have done some research and they look right but wanted to check with those with more experience in these things than me. Also does anyone have

Default WW1 medals

Hi all

Can anyone confirm if the medals are ok. Have done some research and they look right but wanted to check with those with more experience in these things than me. Also does anyone have anymore information about the Indian service medal.

WW1 medalsWW1 medals

Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I have found the following for you the reverse of both of the cards are blank, so I have edited them accordingly :

WW1 medals

Medal Index Card for Joseph Yarker

WW1 medals

D.C.M. Index Card for Pte Joseph Yarker

I hope that they are of some use and help to you Dave, not my area of research though.

Best wishes

Andrzej

To answer the original question they all look good in these pics. As with most british medals (except the WWII campaign medals) they should be impressed with the number, Rank, name and Regt / Corps of the recipient and all these as well as nation (many awarded to Commonwealth troops some of which were not impressed with any recipients details) and service of the recipient affect the value.

In any event the DCM as I am sure you know is a fairly senior gallantry award and as such is a prize in any collection.

The India GSM you show has the 2nd pattern obverse with the inscription "Georgius V Kaisar-i-Hind" which dates it to the period 1910 - 1930 and the Afghanistan NWF (North West Frontier) 1919 bar.
    From the suspension it looks like an Indian mint medal rather than a Royal Mint London type but I am afraid I am not certain if that means it would only have been awarded to an Indian soldier or if both Indian and British troops received that type. Perhaps another member can confirm either way. The essential difference from a collectors point of view may be that a medal to a British soldier commands a higher price.

Can you show the names on all these medals for reference please?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-08-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The only thing that stands out to me is the ribbons on the War Medal and Victory Medal, which are the wrong way around. Not really a problem as they can be switched. Apart from that, it looks to my amateur's eyes like a legitimate grouping.

B.B.
    Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 04-08-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks for replies guys. There are 2 Indian medals, one is to 1259 Sowar Bhan Singh, 37 Lcrs and the other to 905632 Gnr R Rumsey, RA.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    The only thing that stands out to me is the ribbons on the War Medal and Victory Medal, which she the wrong way around. Not really a problem as they can be switched. Apart from that, it looks to my amateur's eyes like a legitimate grouping.

B.B.
    Yep, you are spot on and I must admit I didn't even look at the ribbons beyond noting that they were the right two ribbons for the two medals and they are so often replacements anyway. Sometimes the obvious is so obvious that it is invisible!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by BarneyDave View Post
    Thanks for replies guys. There are 2 Indian medals, one is to 1259 Sowar Bhan Singh, 37 Lcrs and the other to 905632 Gnr R Rumsey, RA.
    Gnr Rumsey RA sounds like a Brit to me (I suspect it is a corruption of Romsey in Hampshire). Which medal is his?

Regards

Mark

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Gnr Rumsey RA sounds like a Brit to me (I suspect it is a corruption of Romsey in Hampshire). Which medal is his?

Regards

Mark
    There are two indian medals, his is this one.WW1 medalsWW1 medals

Interestingly have found out this was part of a pair sold last September in Lewes and then failed to sell in December.

Oh I see, you have two Indian GSM but only showed a picture of one. Now that makes sense. They both look like the Indian Mint striking so I guess that answers my question about whether the Indian Mint medal was only awarded to Indian troops and vice versa.

Regards

Mark

Sorry thought as they looked the same would only post one. They are at an auction I am going to next week see will take a closer look, although have a long list of stuff that might be of interest.