Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Medals. My Small Collection.

Article about: by Cameron Stockton Hi Remember most medals for men who served in the RFC (and I think the RNAS) during World War One have RAF stamped on them. This was because at the time of the issuing of

Default WW1 Medals. My Small Collection.

Finally, i've decided what i want to focus my collecting on (for the time being). The reason i'm currently enjoying collecting these is having the opportunity to research the item and the person who earned it.

From Left to right:

14-15 star named to K.25715 J.T.Jones, STO2, Royal Navy. From my research this stands for Stoker Second Class. He enlisted on 29th March 1915 for the duration of the war and served at Pembroke 2 and served on HMS Blanche. He was dispersed on 30th January 1919.

Victory Medal to L.5144 W.C.Granshaw, OS2, Royal Navy
    Victory Medal to 114651 3.A.M H.Woodcock. RAF . Meaning, Air Mechanic 3rd Class.
    Italian Victory Medal which is unamed unfortunately.

I know, only a little collection for now but i am hoping to purchase some more 1st World War medals to expand my collection. Next on my list is a US Victory Medal.

Hope you liked them!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Medals. My Small Collection.  

Default Re: WW1 Medals. My Small Collection.

Well done, you've got some nice examples already! Good Luck in your endeavor!
    cheers, Glenn

good collection Vicky. Did you manage to find out anything about them, were they entitled to any other medals? The RAF medal must be quite an uncommon one I would think. Do you know if all WWI flyers medals, that is RFC and RAF were named to the RAF or the RFC as well? I only have one pair of WWI medals, to a member of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, as you might have guessed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, Good question. I don't know but will endeavor to find out for you! I have seen victory medals named to the RFC before. I would assume it was engraved to the one they enlisted in, but will find out for sure. I only picked up the RAF today so have a bit of research to do on it. And i still need to get round to the other Navy one. Unfortunately the Italian one is un-researchable as it has no name. The one Royal Navy one i have that i have researched, he is also entitled to the war medal and the victory medal.

Thanks Vicky. A shame the RN group has been split up, though they get lost or maybe divided among the family and as the War medal was silver that might have been sold for scrap. Good luck with the research. I saw a Victory medal and the Death plaque the other day to a member of the South Wales Borderers, missing his War medal, the dealer had only just got it in so he had not decided how much he wanted for it as I might have bought them if the price had been OK.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    good collection Vicky. Did you manage to find out anything about them, were they entitled to any other medals? The RAF medal must be quite an uncommon one I would think. Do you know if all WWI flyers medals, that is RFC and RAF were named to the RAF or the RFC as well? I only have one pair of WWI medals, to a member of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, as you might have guessed.
    Hi

RAF World War One medals are relatively common and usually go for the same price as infantry medals.

Thanks

Cameron

Hi

A great group of medals, and as you say it can be extremely interesting researching the person behind the medal.

Thanks

Cameron

It does surprise me considering that the RAF wasn't actually created until 1st April 1918. I find it weird how these go for just a little less than the RFC ones.

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    It does surprise me considering that the RAF wasn't actually created until 1st April 1918. I find it weird how these go for just a little less than the RFC ones.
    Hi

Remember most medals for men who served in the RFC (and I think the RNAS) during World War One have RAF stamped on them. This was because at the time of the issuing of the medals the RFC and RNAS no longer existed.

Thanks

Cameron

Hi vicky,
    nice collection it is good to research the men / woman who earned them, good luck in your next buy.
    Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast