Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Medics bag ID

Article about: Looking for information on this medics bag. It appears to be British, but I cannot find any reference to it online. The stencil on the back reads "23rd ELFA" any info would be grea

Default WW1 Medics bag ID

Looking for information on this medics bag. It appears to be British, but I cannot find any reference to it online. The stencil on the back reads "23rd ELFA" any info would be greatly appreciated

WW1 Medics bag IDWW1 Medics bag IDWW1 Medics bag IDWW1 Medics bag ID

A nice example of the WW1 British stretcher bearers medics bag.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

This is purely a stab in the dark, so don't take it as being accurate! The last two letters might stand for 'Field Ambulance.' The 23rd Field Ambulance were part of 7th Division during WW1. 'Field Ambulance' doesn't mean ambulances as we think of them these days either. If you look on the RAMC websites you find all the information you need on the organisation and workings of the Field Ambulance during WW1.

Cheers,
    Steve.

ILH
    ?

2nd/3rd East Lancashire Field Ambulance

It was the '23rd' which threw me! I considered the East Lancashire Field Ambulance, but ruled it out because of '23rd'. There was a book published in 1930 on the history of the 2/3rd ELFA... 'History Of The 2/3rd East Lancashire Field Ambulance, The Story Of A 3rd Line Territorial Unit.' The war diaries are also available at the National Archives.

Thanks for the replies! I do not normally collect British items, But I figured this was worth picking up. Does anyone have any idea on it's value?

thanks

Here is a pic of the back of a post card I found on another site, I'm assuming the white "A" above 23rd ELFA means A section?

WW1 Medics bag ID

I would say you are correct.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!