Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 messtin and spoon

Article about: Hello, got these at the Bedford militaria fair today, a WW1 type British soldiers messtin (unmarked) and a regimentally marked sppon with the end cut off. Having researched this on the inter

Default WW1 messtin and spoon

Hello, got these at the Bedford militaria fair today, a WW1 type British soldiers messtin (unmarked) and a regimentally marked spoon with the end cut off. Having researched this on the internet it seems this may be to facilitate reaching the inside corners of the mess tin, as it is a squarer shape. Also shown here are some other British WW1 items. Any comments welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 messtin and spoon   WW1 messtin and spoon  

WW1 messtin and spoon   WW1 messtin and spoon  

WW1 messtin and spoon  

Nice items Douglas. I especially like the spoon. I have a couple, both numbered and the same shape as yours. I'm guessing that the NS relates to the North Staffordshire regiment perhaps?

It is well known that spoons were reshaped to make it easier and quicker to eat rations.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the comments. My belief is indeed that NS does indeed relate to North Staffordshires.