Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Officer use of 08 Pattern Canvas webbing? (commonwealth)

Article about: Hi, I've been told a few times that later in the war some officers in various armies of the British Empire took to wearing the 08 belt and suspenders along with their leather holster + pouch

?

Default WW1 Officer use of 08 Pattern Canvas webbing? (commonwealth)

Hi,

I've been told a few times that later in the war some officers in various armies of the British Empire took to wearing the 08 belt and suspenders along with their leather holster + pouches.

I did manage to come across one photograph, but I didn't save it! Now all I can find that's close are the 'Machine-Gunner' set ups.

Could anyone help me out here?

*EDIT*: a friend just got back to me with this footage from 1915 - it clearly shows officers with the 08 Pattern webbing, with various set ups. Unfortunatley being footage from England, it's hard to tell if this set-up was intended for combat wear in France or if it was all for the cameras. 5TH BATTALION YORK AND LANCASTER AKA BARNSLEY BATTALION | Yorkshire Film Archive

The use of 1908 pattern web equipment by officers was not uncommon ranging from just the waist belt to the full equipment and variations in between. Privately purchased web equipment was also used most commonly holsters and ammunition pouches, but also belts and brace attachments . An example of the private purchase equipment is at the link below.

Webbing Sam Browne style Waist Belt - Other Equipment - Great War Forum

Regards

Mark