Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Officers Sextant?

Article about: Here's another strange little item that my dad gave me, he got it from is work some years ago (Ordnance Survey) I've seen a few of these for sale in the past and I understand that they might

Default WW1 Officers Sextant?

Here's another strange little item that my dad gave me, he got it from is work some years ago (Ordnance Survey) I've seen a few of these for sale in the past and I understand that they might be worth someting? Its complete, even the instructions are inside the leather case! the only markings are F Barker and Son London. Any idea of the value?

Thanks

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Officers Sextant?   WW1 Officers Sextant?  

WW1 Officers Sextant?   WW1 Officers Sextant?  

WW1 Officers Sextant?  

Default Re: WW1 Officers Sextant?

Hi Danny,
    Your Sextant was probably made no earlier than the mid 30's and certainly no later than 1988 when production of this model ceased.

The instrument is still considered one of the best of it's type produced. Value is subjective as to the age of the piece, yours is good for it's age, but will not compare with a later 'minty' type, of which there are many.

Suffice to say that yours is worth at least 100 quid, whereas later 'As new' types that are identical to yours are worth 235 - 250 each.

Hope this helps, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: WW1 Officers Sextant?

thanks ned, the seller of the one I seen before must have been dreaming when he put the price on it

I think I might be selling this if anyone is interested, or to possibly exchange it for something.

Thanks

Danny