Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Royal Navy Sailor's "Ditty box"

Article about: The "Ditty box" was an issued to sailors by the Royal Navy from the 1870's until 1938. They were for keeping personal valuables and went with the Sailor as they changed ships durin

Default WW1 Royal Navy Sailor's "Ditty box"

The "Ditty box" was an issued to sailors by the Royal Navy from the 1870's until 1938. They were for keeping personal valuables and went with the Sailor as they changed ships during their career.
    This box is one my grandfather received when he joined the Navy as a 15 year old in 1914. It contains a few items he would have with him during 15 years service.
    One special treasure is a folded paper message from his father when he went to sea, it contained three tiny pieces of coal from his home in Scotland.

WW1 Royal Navy Sailor's "Ditty box"WW1 Royal Navy Sailor's "Ditty box"WW1 Royal Navy Sailor's "Ditty box"WW1 Royal Navy Sailor's "Ditty box"WW1 Royal Navy Sailor's "Ditty box"

?

What a truly wonderful memento...

That little note, ‘Good luck, my boy’, speaks volumes that echo through the century...

Splendid, and I’m very glad you have it.
    Bob

I agree Bob, quite family treasure.

Nice heirloom Peter

I love this sort of thing which represents not just military but social history too.

People tend to overlook the naval forces in the context of wartime history but their contribution was pivotal throughout and every bit as arduous as the trials of "Tommy" and "Biggles"

Quite a few of my forebears were in the Navy with my great grandfather serving in both wars. My son is presently preparing to return to sea for a 2nd tour in HMS Queen Elizabeth.

As a point of interest "Ditty" is naval slang for a story or tale and even today a matelot will bring to an end a statement or conversation by saying "end of dit" and to"spin a dit" is to tell a tale.

I wonder if you might find this of interest;

HMS Mantis, river gunboat - British warships of World War 1

Thanks for showing this family treasure

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark. Actually among his travels was a stint on HMS Cockchafer the sister ship to the Mantis. They were on China Station patrolling way up the Yangtze river in the early 1920's. My guess is a mate on the Mantis gave him a cap tally (another lovely old word). Boy, did he have some stories; Q ships, The Hood, China. His WW1 medals have "Boy" on them, but the Navy made a man of him, disciplined, character and quickly promoted to NZ Army RSM in the second war.