Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Trio and Iraq GSM

Article about: After being offered a new job, i thought there was no better way to celebrate than treating myself to a new set of medals. I picked this trio and Iraq GSM up from a local auction. Shame the

Default WW1 Trio and Iraq GSM

After being offered a new job, i thought there was no better way to celebrate than treating myself to a new set of medals. I picked this trio and Iraq GSM up from a local auction. Shame the ribbons have seen better days but i especially like the Iraq General Service Medal. Named to : Driver Charles Bailey of the Royal Artillery. I'll have to get his medal index card at some point. I want to clean these up in the least invasive way, does anyone have any suggestions?

Hope you guys like them as much as i do.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Trio and Iraq GSM   WW1 Trio and Iraq GSM  

Default Re: WW1 Trio and Iraq GSM

i usually leave them as is it is a part of their history so i usually keep them as is i think they have a been their done that look also the patina on them is very nice !!

Hi Vicky,

I don't think I would clean them, I really like the way they look, used, loved and completely original. Like you I especially admire the Iraq medal. You could make a interesting collection just collecting medals from The UK's involvement over the years in Iraq and Afghanistan.

?

First off, congratulations on your new job, still in the same line of work I guess?

Secondly, when you say clean them up, do you want them to be bright and shiny as they were when issued or just remove the surface grime?

The ribbons I would advise to leave as they are, they look a little fragile and I wouldn't risk doing any further damage. The other thing to consider is the condition of the ribbons vs the medals. It wouldn't look right if you had bright shiny medals hanging from tatty old ribbons so I would just use a soft brush in mild soapy solution to remove the surface dirt and leave them in a condition sympathetic to the ribbons.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adrian, Thank you! Yes, its my first nursing job to start once qualified in september at a secure hospital so very excited!

Thanks for the replies guys! I just wanted to get some of the grime and surface marks but not the patina (if that makes sense)? I am certainly not going to replace the medal ribbons as i get the impression that unlike some medal groups, these have been worn by the owner or family with pride so i would like to maintain that aspect of their history.

?

Good for you!

I will stand by my original thoughts on a soft toothbrush and warm, mild soapy solution, drying them with a very soft cloth. Don't use anything abrasive.

However. As with anything, if they don't really need cleaning - don't.

When I have had to dust/remove dirt from items such as these I normally use a small soft paint brush of old soft toothbrush, does the job nicely without damage or removing patina.

Thanks for the advice! An old toothbrush it is.

?

Just make sure you put it back before James discovers it's missing......

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Just make sure you put it back before James discovers it's missing......
    Better had! He's very protective of his tesco value toothbrushes!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast