Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 (US?) Hand-Painted Helmet

Article about: I got this helmet for \\$200 from an auction on eBay, and I was wondering what you guys think. How much do you think it is worth? Is it British or American? I believe that it's from the U.S, b

Question WW1 (US?) Hand-Painted Helmet

I got this helmet for $200 from an auction on eBay, and I was wondering what you guys think. How much do you think it is worth? Is it British or American? I believe that it's from the U.S, but I'm open to opinions. Also, does anyone know what the "9" on the front stands for/is?

WW1 (US?) Hand-Painted HelmetWW1 (US?) Hand-Painted HelmetWW1 (US?) Hand-Painted HelmetWW1 (US?) Hand-Painted HelmetWW1 (US?) Hand-Painted HelmetWW1 (US?) Hand-Painted HelmetWW1 (US?) Hand-Painted Helmet

It is a US WW1 helmet with a really nice camo pattern. It’s a shame about the liner not being attached. As for the 9, it may or may not be a 9, not sure. The price you paid is a little high, if the liner was attached and it had the chinstrap it would be a 150.00 helmet.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I find it curious that the scheme is very similar to the camouflage seen on German helmets of the Great War? I would have imagined that painting ones helmet in a similar scheme might have been a risk?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I find it curious that the scheme is very similar to the camouflage seen on German helmets of the Great War? I would have imagined that painting ones helmet in a similar scheme might have been a risk?
    Looks similar to the one that I recently sold.

Marty
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 (US?) Hand-Painted Helmet 
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

I really like it, I agree with Marty, you paid a bit too much, but in auctions it can be like that sometimes.

Thanks for the replies! Does anyone know how I would go about trying to attach the liner? Would I need some sort of kit?

I heard that U.S. troops discovered this camo, and thus painted their helmets this way at the end of the war due to it's colorful nature which they really liked in parades. I cannot confirm this and it was just something I read god knows where, god knows how long ago.

High price for an original camo US WW1? Or because everyone assume it is post war painted by returning WW1 troop? If it was all correct war time camo with liner and chinstrap it would be $300++

?

It looks original but I would agree the price seems high for the condition, unit marked ones can go for higher prices.

There are reproduction kits for the liner available for these helmets, you may be able to buy the parts separately.
    WWI AEF US Army M1917 Helmet Liner & Chin Strap Replacement Kit - Repro | eBay

This is a dumb question, but I am guessing that I could use the original liner with this kit, yes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast