Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 US Picture Frame

Article about: Hi, I recently found this picture frame. The story I was given about the frame is that a photographer went around in the area the soldier lived after the war and took pictures and he bought

Default WW1 US Picture Frame

Hi,

I recently found this picture frame. The story I was given about the frame is that a photographer went around in the area the soldier lived after the war and took pictures and he bought the frame and picture from him. Any chance anybody knows anything about this or the company that made them?

Thanks,
    Phil

WW1 US Picture FrameWW1 US Picture Frame

Default Re: WW1 US Picture Frame

I think this is the standard oval frame one typically finds with dough boy photos. Sometimes they are of deceased soldiers, KIA.

Why the cover up with paper?

Very nice item.
    there is many different types that can be found.
    chris

Not sure why I decided to cover it up. I don't know if these people would appreciate having their picture posted.

None of them are alive so I doubt they will see their likeness posted here

True...the last of the WWI boys are now long gone....doubt if they would mind much being seen. The frame, on the other hand, is your typical dome glassed 23x17 inch frame(or is it a smaller variation?) with the additional fillip of the patriotic eagle on top to bring in the Vets and their families. Metal frame or gesso? Actually, these frames are becoming more in demand, as people are rediscovering them and picking them up to hang in their own homes again. I have a photo of my GG Grandfather, a Civil War Vet (From the Union, if it matters! lol) on my own living room wall in one of these bubble glass frames. It looks excellent. These frames, when in good condition as this one looks to be generally bring about $75 to 100 dollars. Sometimes more, if the lad in the photo is identified and somebody of note. Here is a similar one currently one eBay made of gesso. I doubt that it will bring it's asking price... WW1 US Picture Frame

The Seller of this frame on eBay also has an identical frame like yours available, but his has a photo of a Sailor in it. He is asking(rather unrealistically) a silly $161 for it...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."