Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.

Article about: Hi guys Just wondering if anyone could give me a little more info on a victory medal recipient? I couldn't get a clear enough picture of the side as my camera is playing up a little. The edg

Default WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone could give me a little more info on a victory medal recipient? I couldn't get a clear enough picture of the side as my camera is playing up a little. The edge of the medal reads: 2330 PTE.W.C.HOLDAWAY. R.A.M.C.

I know the basics like the fact he was a private and served in the Medical Corps but I was wondering if anyone with access to online records or something similar could give me a few more details? Possibly when he deployed or even if he survived the war?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier. WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.

I also have another full trio grouping of an R.A.S.C. soldier and if anyone's able to help me on the above medal I'll dig out the details for that too!

Thanks in advance for any replies
    Cheers
    Tom

Hi Tom,

you can find his medal index card here for a small fee, which should give you some of the information you want, where and when he first served and what medals he was entitled to, though some members here have ancestry accounts and might be able to find out more for you or get this for you without a charge. I paid for the MIC for one of my medals and the fee is £3.36.

Discover our collections | The National Archives
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Had a quick look

I think this is him

CWGC - Casualty Details

The service number is different. I've had a quick look at Ancestry and he appears to have transferred which would explain the different number. Got to go to work now - will have a more detailed look at Ancestry later.

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Had a quick look

I think this is him

CWGC - Casualty Details

The service number is different. I've had a quick look at Ancestry and he appears to have transferred which would explain the different number. Got to go to work now - will have a more detailed look at Ancestry later.
    Wow thanks Richie, I'm looking forward to seeing anything else you might be able to dig up later on. Looks like this poor sod didn't make it through the war even if it's not our man. I wonder how hard it's going to be to find the matching War Medal for Holdaway, probably next to impossible, it's a real shame they were split up initially.

Also thanks Jerry, I could probably do to search for my great granddad on the National archives site, the only problem being I only really know his name and who he served with, no uniquely identifying details.

Any more replies appreciated!
    Cheers
    Tom

Happy Christmas.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.   WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.   WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.  

WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.   WW1 Victory Medal to R.A.M.C. Soldier.  

I see that now Ade, it was covered up by one of the ads, oh well.

Wow Ade, the amount of information that can be gained from that is amazing. I never thought you'd be able to delve that deep! Thanks very much for taking the time to find all of this for me. I'll be putting it all together along with a little information about his resting place and making a really nice group of it. If only I could find the other half to the pair, although at 1 in 6.4 million I doubt it .

The information is quite sobering though, you see all this information about a single individual and his family and prior work etc.. then it really hits you that each of the millions of young men killed in the war are far more than just a statistic.

I've been on this forum for a fair amount of time now and received plenty of help previously, always wanting to join the WRF club as a result but now I have no excuse! The next time I have money in my bank account I'll be joining up for real. I am wholeheartedly grateful for all that you managed to find!

Thanks again!
    Tom

I wonder if you get more info for those who died than you get for those who survived or whether it is just the random survival, as I know many records were destroyed during WWII and others I think by flood damage.

This group of mine, only his MIC seems to have survived, South Wales Borderers KIA group and the same for this group 37856 PTE. C. LEON. R. W. FUS. pair of medals

whilst this broken trio fairly complete records survive, or could be found.
    1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast