Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1/WW2 trench art ???

Article about: My apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, I do not know much about ordnance, got a trench art paper knife/letter opener in a local charity shop, the handle appears to be similar to a

jwp
    ?

Default WW1/WW2 trench art ???

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, I do not know much about ordnance, got a trench art paper knife/letter opener in a local charity shop, the handle appears to be similar to a .303 lee enfield bullet with a brass blade with a punched design on it , the label described it as ww2 trench art possibly from the north African campaign, the end of the bullet, where the hammer would strike it has 3 stamps : a capital F. capital N and 13. , as said I don't know much about bullets etc, but it seems similar to many WW1 pieces I have seen, any thoughts much appreciated, as per usual with me will take pics in full daylight in the morning !!!!,
    many thanks,
    John.
    Last edited by jwp; 02-08-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Hi John, ive got something like that. Mines a ww1 version with 'Albert' (from the somme) engraved onto it.

Im gonna go find mine up, I haven't seen it in years its gotta be there somewhere.

looking forward to the piccy's, matty

jwp
    ?

Thanks Matty, with my limited knowledge of bullets etc. I may be wrong assuming it to be a .303 lee enfield round, anyway will try some pics in the morning,
    John.

Don't ask me either fella, I don't know what mine is.

Il go have a search, I think its in an old ditty box upstairs in the loft.

I better go check, I wont be able to sleep until found. lol

matty

Dont know about ww2 but these pieces were usually produced locally in France and Belgium early post ww1,my threads here somewhere on a Lebel paper knife.founds my pics for comparison.........
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1/WW2 trench art ???  WW1/WW2 trench art ???  WW1/WW2 trench art ??? 

jwp
    ?

looking at the head of the bullet as a clock face, the capital F is at ten O clock, the N at two o clock and the 13 at six o clock !!!! .

jwp
    ?

My thoughts on being a lee enfield are more than likely wrong ! sorry about that I Found some info on headstamps on the forum, FN is listed as Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre (FN), Herstal, Belgium. the number 13 , would that indicate the year 1913 ?

John.
    Last edited by jwp; 02-09-2014 at 01:25 PM.

jwp
    ?

Here are some pics of my item, the length of the bullet casing is 56mm,
    cheers, John.WW1/WW2 trench art ???WW1/WW2 trench art ???WW1/WW2 trench art ???