Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Brodie Div Marked Helmet (King's Own Scottish Borderers?)

Article about: Hello everyone. A few weeks ago I got this helmet, it was listed as a helmet to the King's Own Scottish Borderers. I have already sought help on the Great War Forum but wasn't able to get an

Default WWI Brodie Div Marked Helmet (King's Own Scottish Borderers?)

Hello everyone. A few weeks ago I got this helmet, it was listed as a helmet to the King's Own Scottish Borderers. I have already sought help on the Great War Forum but wasn't able to get any results so I was wondering if any WWI and or helmet experts could help me out with this helmet. It has three blue horizontal lines to both sides. It is not named nor dated, but it's maker I believe is HS (Hadfields). Accompanying the helmet was its original owner's gas mask. I should have done research into this helmet prior to getting it, but it looks very authentic, but I'm not sure if it's to the King's Own Scottish Borderers or not. If it is not to the KOSB, what other regiment/division could it be to? Perhaps another Scottish regiment as it was found in a barn in Scotland? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Attachment 1068080Attachment 1068081Attachment 1068082Attachment 1068083Attachment 1068084

- - ------- - -

Additional images...

Attachment 1068085Attachment 1068086

Probably for one of the the Argyles battalions, 4 horizontal blue stripes like this was 7th ASH in 1918- three would suggest a more senior battalion of the same. I'll look in my references a bit later and see if it is denoted. However, same or similar devices were widely used by different units too, especially simple ones like this.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Probably for one of the the Argyles battalions, 4 horizontal blue stripes like this was 7th ASH in 1918- three would suggest a more senior battalion of the same. I'll look in my references a bit later and see if it is denoted. However, same or similar devices were widely used by different units too, especially simple ones like this.
    Hi Asterperious,

Many thanks for your insight. It was found in Scotland so I think it probably is to a Scottish regiment, and it was listed as a helmet to the KOSB. Doesn't mean it's necessarily Scottish but I think we should check out that possibility for it being to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders as you suggested or if that doesn't register, perhaps another Scottish regiment. You may or may not have already seen these online, but the first (left) helmet is to the 7th Argylls, and the right one is to the 8th Argylls (which I am actually in the process of buying). The 7th Argylls helmet markings look similar to mine except my helmet has 1 less line per side. Hopefully we can get a positive ID of this helmet, I'd hate for it to be a mystery helmet. Thanks for your help so far!

Attachment 1068218Attachment 1068219

The only thing I could find in my sources that would be even close - and could those bars be interpreted as any shade of green versus blue? - is the 49th Machine Gun Company, noted as wearing three horizontal light green bars. There is no 'complete' list or known source for all of the battle patches worn in WW I for the BEF so it could be something else entirely, but I could find no reference for a unit that worn three horizontal bars in blue like that.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    The only thing I could find in my sources that would be even close - and could those bars be interpreted as any shade of green versus blue? - is the 49th Machine Gun Company, noted as wearing three horizontal light green bars. There is no 'complete' list or known source for all of the battle patches worn in WW I for the BEF so it could be something else entirely, but I could find no reference for a unit that worn three horizontal bars in blue like that.
    It's for sure blue and for sure not green. Is it possible these div marks may not be able to be identified? Thanks for your help anyway.

Can't help you with ID, but what an awesome helmet you have there. Alot of collectors don't like them that salty, but personally, I love it.

Quote by matthewsq View Post
    Can't help you with ID, but what an awesome helmet you have there. Alot of collectors don't like them that salty, but personally, I love it.
    Quinn,

Thanks for the comment, still trying to ID, hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will come 'to the rescue' and help me with this helmet. I also really like rough looking headgear, it shows signs of use, possibly even in the trenches of France, and the wear on these items shows use and age. This is a perfect helmet, rough condition, but not destroyed, and not a half blown apart relic, found in a barn in Scotland. I personally really like the rough look of the gas mask, and has a well used, and perhaps even a slightly frightening look to it. I think overall this is a really nice helmet. Thanks for the comment!

Best regards,

-Jamie