Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

WWI Cased French DSC, Croix de Guerre, Victory Medal Group

Article about: Here is an interesting group of medals that I stumbled across a few nights ago during my usual late night web surfing. BTW...I have already secured the group, so if you find it on the web, i

AndreCollins
    ?

Default Re: WWI Cased French DSC, Croix de Guerre, Victory Medal Group

Hello,
    I am just the Grandson of s WWI Veteran that I believe served in France along with the 15th Regiment and/or the 360th, 369th.

He was awarded the Croix De Guerre and I have no additional information. I am interested to find out more. He was born in Wantagh, NY and lived in Amityville, NY and Bayshore, NY and his name was Frederick H. Jackson.

Thanks so much...
    Andre Collins

Quote by AndreCollins View Post
    Hello,
    I am just the Grandson of s WWI Veteran that I believe served in France along with the 15th Regiment and/or the 360th, 369th.

He was awarded the Croix De Guerre and I have no additional information. I am interested to find out more. He was born in Wantagh, NY and lived in Amityville, NY and Bayshore, NY and his name was Frederick H. Jackson.

Thanks so much...
    Andre Collins
    Here you go Andre, I hope this is of interest.

Name: Frederick H Jackson
    County: Lewis
    State: New York
    Birthplace: New York;United States of America
    Birth Date: 16 Nov 1888
    Race: Caucasian (White)
    FHL Roll Number: 1753744

Quote by AndreCollins View Post
    Hello,

Thanks so much...
    Andre Collins
    Andre,

Was your grandfather black or mixed race? I am finding information about a Frederick Jackson that is listed as "mulatto" or black.

AndreCollins
    ?

Mulatto or Native American. He along with two other WWI
    soldiers from Long Island, NY started American Legion Post 1218 in Amityville, NY

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Andre,

Mulatto or Native American. He along with two other WWI
    soldiers from Long Island, NY started American Legion Post 1218 in Amityville, NY

Was your grandfather black or mixed race? I am finding information about a Frederick Jackson that is listed as "mulatto" or black.

navaleight
    ?

Your observation on the Distinguished Service Cross awarded to Lt Toelken is most interesting. You are right that officers in the field would almost certainly not know of a new medal award at the time of citation, so the chances are that Lt Toelken may have been recommended for the Medal of Honor, but someone later commuted that to the DSC. Examine, if you will, the case of Sergeant-Major Daniel Daly USMC. He performed a similar act to that of Lt Toelken. In the Battle of Belleau Wood on 10th June 1918, Daly personally attacked a German machine gun nest, armed only with a handgun and two grenades. He secured the machine gun nest, dispatching the occupants and then proceeded to bring back wounded Marines while still under fire. He was in a Marine battalion attached to the 2nd Infantry Division and was cited, we believe for a Medal of Honor, but was awarded the DSC. Daly was already a double Medal of Honor winner and since the citation was made by an Army officer, it is believed that Marine Corps Division Commander - Major-General John A Lejeune, commuted the award much later. Think about that time lapse - 10th June to 9th July. Think also that Daly was awarded the Navy Cross too - from the exact same citation wording as that quoted in the DSC citation, except for the date of the Act of Congress, 9th July 1918. Odd, don't you think?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5