Become our sponsor and display your banner here

WWI Flashed RCHA Helmet

Article about: This is a pretty interesting helmet , it was owned by an uncle of mine . He had a small collection , and after his death I hoped to get for my collection . After years of trying I managed to

CBH
    ?

Default WWI Flashed Helmet " Royal Canadian Horse Artillery"

This is a pretty interesting helmet , it was owned by an uncle of mine . He had a small collection , and after his death I hoped to get for my collection . After years of trying I managed to obtain it from his son . To my surprise it turns out to be a family helmet ! On the underside it was named to a T.J. MacMillan , my family name ! I knew of family in the 10th Canadians and 185th in WWI but not the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery .
    The helmet is also stamp with what looks like A 143 , I don't know much about helmets , but I certainly Love this one ! Hope you all like it too . Finally a helmet that Mark K would want !
    This is my 1000th post ! So when do I get the traveling helmet to paint ? Next week would be fine LOL . Cheers to you all .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8952.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	842137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8974.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	318.6 KB 
ID:	842138  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8975.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	842136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8959.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	330.6 KB 
ID:	842135  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8961.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	842134  
    Last edited by CBH; 05-22-2015 at 04:24 PM.

?

Morning Chris an interesting Brodie but unfortunately I can not add much more to what you have already disclosed My reference material on Canadian WW I and CEF is quite limited can you confirm that the darker side of the flash is indeed blue in color .
    And if so then the colors would indeed be correct but not in a configuration I have seen before but this certainly does not mean it was not so as the examples I have seen are red over blue and or red and blue side by side as seen in the examples below .
    You are correct though it would be a helmet I would not mind having grace my shelves
    I will send a friend a couple of images of the flash to see if you can be of assistance he has been collecting WW I tin lids for eons perhaps he has seen this particular flash before.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCHA3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	843363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canada01.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	843364  

Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

CBH
    ?

Thanks Mark , I'm glad you like it . It took me along time to get it so it's even more dear .
    And with the family connection , I couldn't ask for more . Thanks Again Mark

?

No worries Chris just wish I could have been more help I will see if I can find anything else out about it from a couple of different sources.

Regards Mark
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

Very nice helmet and thanks for posting it, it is always nice to have something from family in your collection.

Matt

Is there another letter in front of the 'A'? the A indicates Edgar Allen as the steel supplier, typically on these there is an 'M' i.e. M/A *** for J & J Maxfield & Sons manufacturers active between 1916-18.

I agree the flash paint configuration is a bit unusual, but not all the sub formations in the CEF as used on helmets are well documented. The paint is quite bright. It may have been done postwar for a reunion, in the 30's sometime perhaps (?) - a lot of guys did this and they didn't always recollect things with respect to exact detail on flashes exactly correctly.

So anyway, nice family piece to have.

CBH
    ?

There may be a faint / before the A but no real sign of the M . I believe the paint to be period , because it appears to be the same yellow used for the name . I don't think you'd name your helmet for a reunion . Also there are faint spots of blue under close inspection . Here is another photo , the blue looks black in this photo . Thanks for the replies !
    Cheers

Name:	IMG_8976.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	843635