MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Scottish ensemble

Article about: Glengarry, tunic, and a '27 dated belt I picked up at SOS last week. Belt is Mills manufactured Canadian '08 type but post war dated. ID'd to Kings Own Scottish Borderers, I'll be looking fo

Default WWI Scottish ensemble

Glengarry, tunic, and a '27 dated belt I picked up at SOS last week. Belt is Mills manufactured Canadian '08 type but post war dated. ID'd to Kings Own Scottish Borderers, I'll be looking forward to assembling items to pile on, should be fun. Thoughts and opinions welcome. The WWI Glengarry just by itself was a great snag, in my opinion, but buying this outfit fairly inexpensively was unexpected. Note: the Mk VII bag is out of context but just used as a prop.

PS....is the belt on properly or upside down?....thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Scottish ensemble   WWI Scottish ensemble  

WWI Scottish ensemble   WWI Scottish ensemble  

?

no it's on right. very nice

Very nice score Nigel, Love the Glengarry, I have 3 but all of later date,I would like to add a WWI example one day. I assume the tunic is post war or at least post war badged.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

very nice items!

Tunic/cap were sold together as original war time ca. 1915 (....I think?) and was manufactured with the cut away front. The belt was an add on by me, it may have been the only one of its type at the show and came from same vendor. KOSB, from what I learned, wore trews (Leslie tartan) but still wore a cut away Scot tunic. Anyone with a handle on some appropriate trews shoot me a note....greatly appreciated....vintage would be nice.

Not an expert on these Nigel, but I thought that prior to 1928 the cut away was an unofficial tailored conversion and OR's usually did not wear collar badges during WWI.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, yes, as I look thru my references it would seem the case.

I would say definitely post-war and that looks like a 7 digit service number, which is post-war.

Having said that, it is a really nice set and I find good post-war issue legitimately badged etc as rather hard to find.

Joe Sweeney

Sorry bumping to an old thread, is the inside of this service dress is using liner or just as it is, like the wool one?
    Anyway, splendid stuff you have here

Jerry, while collar badges on WW1 ORs jackets are not usual there is a thread running on the GWF cataloguing units that did wear collar badges in WW1, more than one would have thought aside from those such as the MGC which are well documented as wearing collar badges.

Nigel,

A very nice grouping the glengarry is in particularly good condition for a WW1 piece.

regards

Mark

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Not an expert on these Nigel, but I thought that prior to 1928 the cut away was an unofficial tailored conversion and OR's usually did not wear collar badges during WWI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast