MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI US Army 77th Helmet

Article about: Hello, I was looking at this Helmet on ebay. Was wondering if I could get some second opinions. Iv tried studying the pictures and the one that is closer up of the paint appears to show some

Default WWI US Army 77th Helmet

Hello, I was looking at this Helmet on ebay. Was wondering if I could get some second opinions. Iv tried studying the pictures and the one that is closer up of the paint appears to show some natural wear, but was curious to see what others may think of it. As well the 77th turned out to be fairly famous historically being labelled the Lost Battalion. Im always more weary about items like that due to the interest level and consequently more fakes being made. Also looking at the shell color to where the liner was it appears to have received a wash down or thin coating of lacquer, seller says its a thin stain. Does that affect value? Interested in painted WWI Doughboys but still trying to learn and study them.

here's the link

World War I WWI US Army 77th Division Statue of Liberty ZC55 Doughboy GI Helmet | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI US Army 77th Helmet   WWI US Army 77th Helmet  

Default Re: WWI US Army 77th Helmet

I like it! But I still wouldn’t chance that kind of money on it. I like the way it appears to have naturally lost its blue paint, and it stands to reason the yellow would last that bit better as that would be at lest three coats on that area. To me artificially age decals seem to have even ware across them. And obvious scratch or rubbing marks. The helmet has been oiled or something as you say.
    The seller doesn’t look like a outright military dealer judging from his feed back, my opinion is if it is fake its not the seller that has done it, maybe someone before, ask him where he got it, he might lie though.
    I wouldn’t have known that was a 77th decal, I don’t study these things.
    Just my opinion remember! Don’t take my word on it, its always hard to judge paintjobs.
    Rod

Hey Rob, thanks for the input. I was feeling the same, and the cost of it is what made me want to post it here. Wasnt worth the gamble. As far as I can tell in research the 77th also adopted a statute of liberty symbol on there helmets but I have only seen that wrote out in words, no ectual examples of the emblem, atleast from what I could find. Would like to find a nice WWI painted someday haha, one that's not a gamble.

?

It is a good helmet but the cost is two times what it is worth, if looking for ww1 helmets I would suggest looking on this site Headgear - Griffin Militaria. I have know this seller for years he has great prices and has good helmets

?

77th Division helmets are constantly being sold on e-bay. Perhaps you will find a better deal later. Also remember, not all of the 77th was lost. Certain companies and battalions did not participate in that battle. Most 77th helmets I see used back then were British made Brodie lids because they were one of the first units in France to fight. It is difficult to tell if any helmet was used in combat or issued afterwards for parades. Unless you can get a good paper trail on the person it was issued to, it can be outright impossible.

Thanks for the info guys. Greatly appreciated. Glad I got second opinion

if you really want one bad their are many good sites with good reputable american dealers with cheap prices you could prolly pick up on painted with no linear for around 150 bucks but i have seen them for less !!

Ok thanks. Ya I'm interested in purchasing my first one after doing a little more research first of course. Could anyone recommend a dealer who frequently deals in painted WWI Brodie's or doughboys

Seller said he bought at a garage sale... No history given.... PASS

?

These 2 dealers have good WWI US helmets for sale with fair prices and have good reputations.
    Their stock changes often so if you don't find what you want right away be patient.

Bay State Militaria and Antiques

Hayes Otoupalik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast