Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WWI US Helmet Shell?

Article about: Picked up this shell for \\$5.00 recently...it's marked 18C...I'm assuming it's WWI US...any input appreciated, friends... cheers, Glenn

Glenn bet the chinstrap Bales are not attached by split pins are they?..................

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Glenn bet the chinstrap Bales are not attached by split pins are they?..................
    Riveted for US I think, as you obviously know Jake.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Of coarse I know Jerry and it aint WW1 either humbug blah blah blah

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    and it aint WW1 either humbug blah blah blah
    ? Sorry Jake you have lost me now.
    Regards,

Jerry

Sorry poor attempt at being humurous,ok now being serious assuming the stamp mark Glenn has shown is the only one and there is no other like ZO OR ZC then this is a 1938 McCord produced m1917a Kelly Helmet,thank you and goodnite...........

Thanks Jake, I thought that might be what you were referring to, but I am not up on the M1917 1930's version or the WWI version either to be honest, other than I knew about the chinstrap attachment.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanx jerry mate,in 1937 McCord were contracted to refurb all 1917 Helmet surplus stocks that were most likely post WW1 produced with a new spec liner and the M17A chinstrap (the same as seen on many of the experimental Helmets like the Deep Salade but for some reason there was a shortfull and McCord produced some new Shells to the same spec as the WW1 versions so only by the stamp marks can you tell the differance,there is a thread somewhere on here but would take forever to find it,this same chinstrap was exhausted up in the early M1 produced shells and most likely why McCords won the contract as they already had a proven record on shaping steel.............

Thanks for the added information, friends...18C is the only marking and the bales are riveted...
    So I have here a 1930s produced M17a Kelly Helmet...interesting! I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Thanks for the added information, friends...18C is the only marking and the bales are riveted...
    So I have here a 1930s produced M17a Kelly Helmet...interesting! I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong...
    cheers, Glenn
    Still a bargain, whatever date it is IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

I'll give ya 20!... great lid BTW!....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast