Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WWI US ID'ed Portrait Photo

Article about: Like uniforms, I have a soft spot for anything I can put a name and face to. This is from Bay State Militaria. It spoke to me and I had to have it.

Default WWI US ID'ed Portrait Photo

Like uniforms, I have a soft spot for anything I can put a name and face to. This is from Bay State Militaria. It spoke to me and I had to have it.

Hi Todd, it is a great image with everything going for it, named, nice insignia etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Great photo-I wonder what the pin on his cap is for? And the mysterious Star is above his stripes on his sleeve. It looks like he dealt with trench fever.....some Nasty stuff...lucky he didn't come down with it himself. I hear you, though-when something Talks to you, it's gotta be yours! If it does and you Don't get it, it'll bother you for Years! Trust me there! lol
    Now he needs a nice vintage frame to hold his photo!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very nice photo, Todd. Glad to see it made it's way into your collection.

Luke

Thanks guys.
    I'll see if I can find a period frame. William, I was also wondering if he had dealt with those struck by French fever or had survived it himself. Either way he was lucky. I'll also have to research the star and diamond on the cap.

Trench Fever was a terribly debilitating problem for the troops of WWI. It generally wasn't Fatal, but when you got it, you sure Felt like it was! It was not all that hard to treat but was Nasty business, in any case for sure. Come to find out, it was coming from the massive infestations of the ever-present Lice.

I can't Quite make out what the abbreviation is of the last word on the photo, though. Disinfection? Distribution??
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

"Dist'n"

I've been trying to figure that out, too.

I've done some research/ asked around on other forums and it seems like the general consensus is that the sleeve star signified the contingent of U.S. soldiers who volunteered for service and were the first to arrive in Europe rather than be drafted and arrive later.

Thanks joe. If that's true than very cool. He was a "sign me up!" Kinda guy. Three years overseas and an ambulance driver. Bet he saw some horrific wounds.

Would y'all say the ribbon closest to his tunic buttons looks like a Purple Heart ribbon?

Hi Todd, one small corection each stripe was for 6 months service. Cannot be for 3 years as the USA did not enter the war until 1917.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast