Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse "Clamshell" - Deumer?

Article about: Hi, Gents! I haven't posted in several weeks, work and life getting in the way and all, but I have managed to pick up a few things of interest as of late. I'd like to share this one and get

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse "Clamshell" - Deumer?

Hi, Gents! I haven't posted in several weeks, work and life getting in the way and all, but I have managed to pick up a few things of interest as of late. I'd like to share this one and get your thoughts.

I believe this would be an unmarked Deumer screwback clamshell EK1 with a copper-coated iron core. Where the paint has been worn away, it has a clear patina'd copper color, but the core is most certainly magnetic. What do you think? I've been studying picture after picture, and this is the conclusion I've come to.

The cross is lightly vaulted - possibly done by the owner to make it fit more snugly against the pocket.

I hope everyone is doing swell.

-DF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse "Clamshell" - Deumer?
    P
    Many

Some better pictures in the sunlight instead of my dim office:

?

Nice piece and a good look to it. You are right about the magnetic core being covered in a thin sheet of copper or brass as I have on one of my pieces.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks, Adrian, for having a look. I thought it was a great looking piece. I've been looking for a screw-back EK1 for sometime, and this really caught my eye.

I grabbed it for, I think, a somewhat reasonable price. I was surprised that someone didn't snatch it out from under me, but I'm thinking other collectors weren't quite sure what to make of an unmarked example with a copper hue to the exposed "iron", so they passed on it.

I've always thought the clamshell devices looked very classy. Glad it's mine!

-DF

Quote by DerFunker View Post
    Hi, Gents! I haven't posted in several weeks, work and life getting in the way and all, but I have managed to pick up a few things of interest as of late. I'd like to share this one and get your thoughts.

I believe this would be an unmarked Deumer screwback clamshell EK1 with a copper-coated iron core. Where the paint has been worn away, it has a clear patina'd copper color, but the core is most certainly magnetic.

-DF
    Maybe a carry over from WW I crosses?
    My late WW I Deumer pin back appears to have the same copper coating on the core.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Maybe a carry over from WW I crosses?
    My late WW I Deumer pin back appears to have the same copper coating on the core.
    Ralph.
    Now that's interesting, and I think makes sense. I've read that these copper coated iron cores were very early Deumer examples, so I think the process very well may be a hold-over from WWI.

Image searching some pictures of WWI and early WWII Deumer crosses showed several vaulted examples, but I don't recall if they were specifically screw-back models or not. Is yours vaulted at all? Mine is, but lightly, and could have been a modification by the owner.

Thanks for sharing, Ralph.

Quote by DerFunker View Post
    Now that's interesting, and I think makes sense. I've read that these copper coated iron cores were very early Deumer examples, so I think the process very well may be a hold-over from WWI.

Image searching some pictures of WWI and early WWII Deumer crosses showed several vaulted examples, but I don't recall if they were specifically screw-back models or not. Is yours vaulted at all? Mine is, but lightly, and could have been a modification by the owner.

Thanks for sharing, Ralph.
    Yes, it is vaulted. There are no marks on the reverse so it could be factory vaulted.
    My WW II produced WW I screw back EK I by Deumer is also vaulted.
    But, it shows no signs of copper coating.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Yes, it is vaulted. There are no marks on the reverse so it could be factory vaulted.
    My WW II produced WW I screw back EK I by Deumer is also vaulted.
    But, it shows no signs of copper coating.
    Ralph.
    Very nice, Ralph - thanks for sharing again. After seeing your examples I definitely think I've got an early Deumer clamshell on my hands. Excellent!

Most awards that I have seen that have been "presumably" vaulted by the recipient/owner show some signs of a vise, or clamp, marks on the reverse.
    Ralph.