Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse L15 Friedrich Orth. Floch or Genuine?

Article about: Here is a EK.1 I picked up from my dealer not too long ago. It was being sold as a Otto Schinkle for about \\$350, which Schinkles go for more than that. The cross isn't a Otto Schinkle but Fr

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse L15 Friedrich Orth. Floch or Genuine?

Here is a EK.1 I picked up from my dealer not too long ago. It was being sold as a Otto Schinkle for about $350, which Schinkles go for more than that. The cross isn't a Otto Schinkle but Friedrich Orth. There is a common confusion of the makers mark L/15 (Otto Schinkle) and L15 (Friedrich Orth). But even after determining the maker, there are the Floch fakes which are complicated too. So, did i get Floched or do I have a genuine Friedrich Orth EK.1.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse L15 Friedrich Orth. Floch or Genuine?   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse L15 Friedrich Orth. Floch or Genuine?  

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse L15 Friedrich Orth. Floch or Genuine?   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse L15 Friedrich Orth. Floch or Genuine?  

Last edited by rbminis; 01-08-2020 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse L15 Friedrich Orth. Floch or Genuine?
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I have moved your thread to the correct section of the forum.

I have also renamed your thread. Please read this thread.
    The Use of German Terminology.

Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The hinge and catch assembly do not look typical for a Floch. Others more qualified than I will tell you if the piece is real or not.

Thank you! I'll read up on the German Term. later.
    Last edited by KMcollector; 01-08-2020 at 07:30 PM.

To my eye it does not follow the Floch traits- It has no lines on the rear - no cut out by the top of the pin and a catch that is apparent in originals - the 1939 also is not low, as in the Floch's. - the L15 is nice and crisp - also there does not appear to be any overlapping on the corner ribs
    I would give it a thumbs up, but wait for other opinions - someone else might spot something I've missed

Regards Bob
    -----------------------------------------------
    Ut Diu Ut Permanere

Thumbs up

It's quite well made too. Not just curled up into a circle like on many. Thanks for the info.

Quote by oberhaig View Post
    To my eye it does not follow the Floch traits- It has no lines on the rear - no cut out by the top of the pin and a catch that is apparent in originals - the 1939 also is not low, as in the Floch's. - the L15 is nice and crisp - also there does not appear to be any overlapping on the corner ribs
    I would give it a thumbs up, but wait for other opinions - someone else might spot something I've missed

Regards Bob
    -----------------------------------------------
    Ut Diu Ut Permanere
    Thanks Bob for the information. You have really put a good reliable statement. Much thanks.

raz
    ?

You should research your cross and after research if you are satisfied that is all that matters . IMO there is some controversy on them ( L15 ) to spend a lot of money . Your cross does seem to have the Orth frame and core but marked L15 not 15 so most experts ( Maerz & Stimson -The Iron cross 1. class ) seem to believe they are post war made with original parts .Hope this doesn't muddy the water to much . Also on another forum a L15 cross came up 2days ago and is a floch fake and almost everyone said L/15 good - L15 not good . Hope this helps

Dennis

Quote by raz View Post
    You should research your cross and after research if you are satisfied that is all that matters . IMO there is some controversy on them ( L15 ) to spend a lot of money . Your cross does seem to have the Orth frame and core but marked L15 not 15 so most experts ( Maerz & Stimson -The Iron cross 1. class ) seem to believe they are post war made with original parts .Hope this doesn't muddy the water to much . Also on another forum a L15 cross came up 2days ago and is a floch fake and almost everyone said L/15 good - L15 not good . Hope this helps

Dennis
    I disagree. Your statement on the frame is wrong. Orths have a small feature that make them different from any other EK.1 maker.
    Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse L15 Friedrich Orth. Floch or Genuine?
    I'll also say how a lot of the old collectors which are probably the ones saying this, say statements off their biases on a lot on these things like this rather than their knowledge. Best regards

raz
    ?

Reread my post , I agree it has the original frame and core of a Orth cross believed to be put together post war . The L15 maker mark w/o the / is what calls this cross into question IMO . Orth used ( L/14 ) or ( 15 ) - Schickle used ( L/15 ) . Regardless not mine so . The old collectors ( I'm only 69 ) wrote a 600 page book on it . The Iron Cross 1. Class in 2010 , it is a good read . Don't shoot the messenger just trying to help . Hope they don't mind .

Attachment 1370826Attachment 1370827Attachment 1370828

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast