Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1 Souval

Article about: Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, so thanks for the warm welcome. First cross purchase and it's listed as a Souval. According to the wartime vs post-war thread it looks like a wartime, b

Lightbulb Eisernes Kreuz 1 Souval

Hello everyone.
    I'm new to the forum, so thanks for the warm welcome.

First cross purchase and it's listed as a Souval. According to the wartime vs post-war thread it looks like a wartime, but im learning as much as I can. Payed a pretty penny for this one and any opinions are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.Eisernes Kreuz 1 SouvalEisernes Kreuz 1 SouvalEisernes Kreuz 1 SouvalEisernes Kreuz 1 SouvalEisernes Kreuz 1 Souval

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1 Souval
    P
    Many

?

Welcome Brady.

Again, it's the Souval debate and conundrum, wartime made or post war made using wartime components or just post war made.

I'm not sure there will ever be a definitive answer to the question.

If it looks like a wartime produced and constructed EK and you're happy to spend your money on such a cross, no one here can tell you otherwise. It's just a debate that comes down to individual decisions and opinions.

Some say the catch type on your cross is post war, others say it's pre 1945.
    Others say the only wartime catches are round wire.

All I will say is that if you're going to spend a pretty penny on an award, make sure you spend it on an award that doesn't come with any doubts.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Well said Adrian! This sounds like good advice for anyone to follow. It's interesting that with some of these medals, there's so many different opinions. From my own research of looking at 1st class Souvals, based on the legitimate ones I've found on the internet they have the same needle catch, and all other characteristics are matching. So I am happy with the purchase.

?

Brady, if you're happy with your purchase then that's all that matters. Enjoy the acquisition and at the end of the day, it's your opinion that counts.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

It almost looks like the core was some sort of misstrike and had the year also in the 12 'o' clock arm, and after that it was ground out before painting? No other damage to the core, just the 12 'o' clock arm of the core. Do you have an explanation for this, Adrian?
    Not suggesting anything! Just interested! Misstrikes are highly interesting because these tell a lot about production ways (and neglecting quality control, sometimes)

Cheers,
    Martin