Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse authenticity

Article about: Hello, I purchased this medal around 2012. Always thought it was real, but having had another look now I'm not so sure. Paper does slide underneath the 'silver' and the core is magnetic. Alt

?

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse authenticity

Hello,

I purchased this medal around 2012. Always thought it was real, but having had another look now I'm not so sure. Paper does slide underneath the 'silver' and the core is magnetic. Although the 'iron' core seems in a great condition.. maybe a little too good? Thanks for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse authenticity   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse authenticity  

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse authenticity  
    Last edited by syler; 08-14-2023 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Corrected orientation of photos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse authenticity
    P
    Many

Quote by syler View Post
    Hello,

I purchased this medal around 2012. Always thought it was real, but having had another look now I'm not so sure. Paper does slide underneath the 'silver' and the core is magnetic. Although the 'iron' core seems in a great condition.. maybe a little too good? Thanks for your help.
    Hello Syler.

I have changed the title of your thread to use the correct German terminology for the award.

The Use of German Terminology.

Some of our experts should be along soon to help you out.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

It's an original cross, might be worth posting in the correct Eisernes Kreuz forum and editing the photos so they're the right way up.

*Edit, I see it's been moved.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thank you. I corrected the orientation. Glad it's an original, I was comparing it to some pictures I saw online and some things didn't always match exactly. 'Points' on the silver seem fairly sharp on mine compared to more rounded ones on others. I presume there were manufacturing differences depending on where they were made?

?

There were many different manufacturers of the EK, some used parts from other makers, some from the same maker varied as time progressed. For example, the maker Klein & Quenzer '65' have about five different core styles.
    The manufacturing processes had variations as well. Although the medal is an Iron Cross, which refers to the core, the core was also made from other materials such as zinc or brass as well as iron. A magnet applied to the core will tell you if yours is made from iron or not.
    Have you checked the ribbon ring for a stamp?
    I can't help with the maker at the moment as I only have my phone to look at but the core is reminding me of a Meybauer.

?

Here is another picture which should make it a bit easier to see the details. Is there a way to find out where it was made?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse authenticity  

?

Thank you. I don't think there is a stamp, but I'll have another good look when I get home. It's definitely magnetic though so it'll be iron.

?

Quote by syler View Post
    Is there a way to find out where it was made?
    Yes absolutely, I'll look as soon as I have access to a larger screen to look at the details. Or else someone else can identify it for sure.

This cross is a production of Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Heeresbedarf in der Graveur und Ziselierinnung PKZ 23 with its own core.
    Robert

?

Thank you, is this one rare or not so much?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast