Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz I. Kl - Gebrüder Godet

Article about: New arrival. An interesting Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse screw back model by Gebrüder Godet. Unlike WWI, the TR Präsidialkanzlei forbade the manufacture of vaulted EKI's. Well, what do you thi

TWS
    ?

Default Eisernes Kreuz I. Kl - Gebrüder Godet

New arrival. An interesting Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse screw back model by Gebrüder Godet. Unlike WWI, the TR Präsidialkanzlei forbade the manufacture of vaulted EKI's. Well, what do you think soldiers did? Some wanted that "old school" or traditional look to a screw back award. A few went to jewelers and had privately commissioned vaulted examples made. However, more often they saved their cash and bent the cross on their own to get the desired look. There's a discussion of this practice in either Williamson or Maerz (I forget which, could be both even) . Right in line with their observations, the efforts of this soldier resulted in the frame lifting from the core on the inner corners of the frame. It gives this example character in my book and I really like it.

Eisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder GodetEisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder GodetEisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder GodetEisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder GodetEisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder Godet
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder Godet
    P
    Many

A very nice cross from a quality maker Todd.
    It seems more common to find vaulted crosses with a screw back, than a pin back.
    Congrats on adding this one to your collection.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

TWS
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A very nice cross from a quality maker Todd.
    It seems more common to find vaulted crosses with a screw back, than a pin back.
    Congrats on adding this one to your collection.
    Ralph.
    Thank-you sir. I agree that it seems soldiers wanted their screw back to be vaulted much more often than a pin back.

I only have a small handful of 1914 crosses and do not study the WWI era more than a fraction of the study I devote to WWII. However, in my limited experience I find that the 1914 screw back crosses tended to be vaulted and so I believe the Wehrmacht soldiers wanted to imitate the style of their elders from the Great War. That's where I think the tendency to bend 1939 screw back crosses came from.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

a rely nice score.

That is a lovely Godet you have there. I like the inner beading design by Zimmermann/Godet, very unusual relative to other EKs. Here is my pinback Godet for comparison, bought this as a Zimmermann, didn't discover the hard to see L/50 until much later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder Godet   Eisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder Godet  

Eisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder Godet  

Very nice addition to your great collection Todd

TWS
    ?

Quote by Chrish124 View Post
    That is a lovely Godet you have there. I like the inner beading design by Zimmermann/Godet, very unusual relative to other EKs. Here is my pinback Godet for comparison, bought this as a Zimmermann, didn't discover the hard to see L/50 until much later.
    I agree wholeheartedly Chrish. Godet is one of my favorite award makers and that is a really neat specimen you have there yourself.

I have a pin-back Godet that I acquired from a good friend a few years ago. It is heavily worn and a bit "salty" but I love the character that the wear gave it. I should snap a couple photos and add it to this discussion.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Nice addition

I love this makers crosses

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

TWS
    ?

Here is my quite worn and salty Godet pin-back. If patina had a mascot...

Click to enlarge.

Eisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder GodetEisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder GodetEisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder GodetEisernes Kreuz I. Kl  - Gebrüder Godet
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I like it, Todd.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.