Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help determining the maker of an Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

Article about: Hi all I am new here and I just purchased an unmarked Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from a seller that does not know the maker. I have searched for any good place to start but am hitting dead end

Default Help determining the maker of an Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

Hi all I am new here and I just purchased an unmarked Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse from a seller that does not know the maker. I have searched for any good place to start but am hitting dead ends. If anyone can throw me a lead here or maybe an online resource that can help me figure it out would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help determining the maker of an Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse
    P
    Many

Please be patient, we do not have a lot of members that actively study crosses in depth, at this time.
    Someone should be along to help.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you for the reply, I figured it wouldn't be a quick hit, information will come when it will come! Hope to someday be able to contribute back myself.

Hello welcome to the forum. These are always a bugger for me to figure out, but I like the challenge. After comparison to crosses on EK1DNA and comparing yours to others here on the forums past threads it looks to be a paul meybauer cross imo. The frame, beading, and suspension loop location are very close, the core looks to be as well. As usual I'm happy to stand corrected. Kindest regards.

Brian

Help determining the maker of an Eisernes Kreuz 2. KlasseHelp determining the maker of an Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

This feature of the "thining" edge detail seen on both crosses is also a sign of a match imo.

Help determining the maker of an Eisernes Kreuz 2. KlasseHelp determining the maker of an Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

Comparison photos are one of Nick's (woolgars) examples previously shown here

EK2 Meybauer

Thank you Brian for the research and also for the EK1DNA that looks like an awesome resource. I see what you are pointing out for the similarities but just have a single question and this is more of a learning one for me. In my EK2 the cross corners on the frame are more rounded than on the photo examples you provided, would that be something that stays consistent by maker or would that possibly change from run to run or over time?

Hello. If it is in fact it is a Meybauer cross as I suspect. There are alot of potential resons for minor variants over periods of production. It could be something as simple as die wear, individual maker work quality, year of production early vs late war, possibly a receipient modification, and or general wear and age? It's just another interesting facet to collecting I guess. Each piece has it's own characteristics. Of course I could be off on the maker? Nick Hessians and or Sanya would be the authorities on this site. I wasn't just guessing however, I did the reasearch and EK1DNA is an excellent place to start for generalizations, then search the forum for examples you may suspect to be the maker and deleniate down from there. Kindest regards.

Brian

Thanks so much for the additional information. That explanation was what I was looking for and makes complete sense. I definitely was not questioning your research at all ;o) I just want to try and fully understand as much as I can and I am extremely grateful for your knowledge and the time you put in looking at my EK2! I have learned a great deal with what you posted!

Absolutely and I didn't take it as an offense at all. In many ways it's fun and challenging to try to figure out the maker of an unmarked cross but on the hand it can be equally maddening lol. But it's how we learn and it's good to challenge oneself especially in this hobby and area of collecting. Kindest regards.

Brian

Meybauer's obverse and reverse dates have a different font, more "slanted" if you know what I mean. The cross in the OP also has a wider frame than lets say a standard St&L or Meybauer. Comparing the dates to known wideframe EKs, this must be hersteller '24'.

Regards,
    Nick

Thanks for the correction Nick. It's good to hear from you, I see you been hitting up the EK threads. Great to have you around!! Kindest regards.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast