Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID cleaned crosses

Article about: Hi all, Firstly apologies if this is a silly question. I would like to ask about cleaned crosses. EKs such as the first two below are obviously cleaned and polished, but the last two are als

?

Default ID cleaned crosses

Hi all,

Firstly apologies if this is a silly question. I would like to ask about cleaned crosses.

EKs such as the first two below are obviously cleaned and polished, but the last two are also supposedly cleaned up a bit but some times it can be hard to tell with the last two.

To ID a cleaned cross , is it the case that you just need to see if it has no aging patina or been "factory" polished ? then you will have the answer if neither of these are the case? The difference between the last two and a "minimally tarnished age-patina" is very similar.

I hope this makes sense

ID cleaned crossesID cleaned crossesID cleaned crossesID cleaned crosses

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ID cleaned crosses
    P
    Many

Quote by wf789 View Post
    I hope this makes sense
    Sorry, not really.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

While not directly tied to your question, I just wanted to note that the pristine condition of EK's does not always mean a cross has been cleaned. Different makers used different manufacturing processes (and materials) to apply the "silver", and if left in the right environment, they can look like they were made yesterday. While other's that sat untouched in the same environmental conditions can show quite a patina and or tarnish.

There was a great article in a recent edition of the periodical "International Military Collector" addressing this. Unfortunately, I can not post it here as I'm sure it is copyrighted
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Sorry, not really.
    Ralph.
    Apologies Ralph... How about this... Out of the 4 crosses above, do you think all are cleaned or not?

Quote by MAP View Post
    While not directly tied to your question, I just wanted to note that the pristine condition of EK's does not always mean a cross has been cleaned. Different makers used different manufacturing processes (and materials) to apply the "silver", and if left in the right environment, they can look like they were made yesterday. While other's that sat untouched in the same environmental conditions can show quite a patina and or tarnish.

There was a great article in a recent edition of the periodical "International Military Collector" addressing this. Unfortunately, I can not post it here as I'm sure it is copyrighted
    Absolutely! Example... all the mint W&L's

Quote by wf789 View Post
    Apologies Ralph... How about this... Out of the 4 crosses above, do you think all are cleaned or not?
    No, I do not.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

First one possibly, but really need to see them under a loop.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

First cross ('3' - Deumer) has definitely been cleaned. Polished to shit and still some patina left in the inner corners, where they couldn't reach.

Photo of the 2nd cross is way too small!

Third ('7' - Meybauer) and fourth cross ('23' with Meybauer core) look fine to me. Normal wear/patina with here and there some frosting or dull nickel silver shining through.

Regards,
    Nick

?

Quote by Nick Hessens View Post
    First cross ('3' - Deumer) has definitely been cleaned. Polished to shit and still some patina left in the inner corners, where they couldn't reach.

Photo of the 2nd cross is way too small!

Third ('7' - Meybauer) and fourth cross ('23' with Meybauer core) look fine to me. Normal wear/patina with here and there some frosting or dull nickel silver shining through.

Regards,
    Nick
    Your opinions on each cross match with what I had in mind exactly. I believe the second cross is similar to the Deumer, but you're right - the picture is too small and the lighting in the photograph is also bad.

The reason I made this thread is because I was told the last two ("7" and "23") were polished. I disagreed and felt the same way as you.

Good to know someone feels the same way and not all are polished! Not that there is anything wrong with cleaning/polishing as I understand some people like that look. I am just trying to learn...

BR, Will

MAP
    ?

Quote by wf789 View Post
    Your opinions on each cross match with what I had in mind exactly. I believe the second cross is similar to the Deumer, but you're right - the picture is too small and the lighting in the photograph is also bad.

The reason I made this thread is because I was told the last two ("7" and "23") were polished. I disagreed and felt the same way as you.

Good to know someone feels the same way and not all are polished! Not that there is anything wrong with cleaning/polishing as I understand some people like that look. I am just trying to learn...

BR, Will
    I would disagree with that. IMO, awards should be left as found.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I would disagree with that. IMO, awards should be left as found.
    I agree personally. They should be left as found.
    I just didn't want to offend anyone who likes to clean their crosses. I hope there is not many who do it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast