Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help : Magnet fished a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes and want to restore it / know more about it

Article about: Hello, While magnet fishing for the first time yesterday, I have found what appears to be a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes. This was found in the Seine river, 60km south of Paris. I have p

?

Default Need help : Magnet fished a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes and want to restore it / know more about it

Hello,

While magnet fishing for the first time yesterday, I have found what appears to be a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes. This was found in the Seine river, 60km south of Paris.

I have performed an electrolysis to try getting read of the rust. While this has removed some of the rust, revealing, on one face the swastika in the middle and year 1939 at the bottom, on the other side a big chunk of black material has been ripped out in the process. That face shows year 1813 at the bottom. The result from the electrolysis process is fare from being great. I am attaching a few pictures showing before/after.

Need help : Magnet fished a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes and want to restore it / know more about itNeed help : Magnet fished a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes and want to restore it / know more about itNeed help : Magnet fished a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes and want to restore it / know more about it

I am not sure what this black material is exactly (could be iron cast, which would explain the rust). The undearneath structure however seems to be made of iron. The 1939 and 1813 markings seem to be in the iron part (which I assume was then covered by the black material during the making)
    Also, the outter part has remained pretty dirty after the electrolysis. According to information found online, this part could be made of silver. Or maybe, the whole thing is made of silver and the black material only fiils the inner part.

I have also tried using white vinegar (for just 2 minutes because I really wasn't sure whether this was a good idea).

Any recommendations are much appreciated. As you probably understand, my knowledge in these areas (militaria and restoration) is particularly limited.
    I would very much like to get the following information :
    - any idea what material was used in the making ?
    - any idea what type of cross this is (I understand that there are many variations of such crosses) ?
    - any idea of what process I should follow to get it clean without further losing parts ?

Thanks a lot !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help : Magnet fished a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes and want to restore it / know more about it
    P
    Many

Welcome to the forum.
    I am sorry to tell you, but this is not a Ritterkreuz, it is an Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse.
    Restoring it will not be worth your while as collectors look down on restored items almost as much as fakes.
    It is worth more just as it is.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. By restoring I only mean trying to get rid of the rust. I am not an expert but I would guess that even though the process I have carried was not a great job it still looks better than just after i took it off the water.
    Also, thank for helping identify the type of cross. I am not planning on selling it as this is a great souvenir of our first day magnet fishing with my kids. However, out of curiosity, do you have any idea how much this could be worth ?

Thanks

Sorry, we do not do evaluations here.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

OK. I understand. And as for restoring it, should I continue trying to get rid of remaining rust ? Any particular process that I should follow (other that electrolysis ?). Any particular risk of just ruining the cross if I insist with the electrolysis ?
    I have been able to clean the outer part using a toothbrush with toothpaste. Attached pics of current status (where you'll also see that the inner part is still very rusty.Need help : Magnet fished a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes and want to restore it / know more about itNeed help : Magnet fished a Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes and want to restore it / know more about it

Renaissance wax can be purchased online and will stabilise this. The iron core needs to be dry. Do not use vinegar as its too strong. There is little value in this other than in the memory of its discovery. Keep the pictures together with it as it will not get any better than it is now. Magnet fishing not a safe past time as has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. Not everything you might find is as safe to look at. Be safe.