Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New to collecting. Brass Core Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse real or fake?

Article about: So I recently purchased a WW2 brass core 1st class iron cross. I was wondering if I could get some seasoned eyes on this piece to help me authenticate it. Its hard to see but there is a clea

Oh man really? That is a major bummer. I spent good money on it. Are you sure? I thought cast pieces where one piece? This one is clearly 3 piece design.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New to collecting. Brass Core Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse real or fake?
    P
    Many

WW2 German First Class Iron Cross Brass Core Unmarked - Militaria Collectibles buy - sell at War Relics

This is the same exact cross that is listed on this website so I certainly hope its not a reproduction. I met this guy in person he's been on this forum since 2016 I trust him honestly. Its definitely a 3 piece construction and not cast.

This Iron Cross frame and Core are clearly Souval. The hardware would indicate a Zinc core Souval/Orth hybrid as described in Maerz's book. However, the variant in Maerz's book is maker marked and uses a different catch, although the catch on the Iron Cross you posted does match one of the accepted Orth types.

Quote by Erwin777 View Post
    Oh man really? That is a major bummer. I spent good money on it. Are you sure? I thought cast pieces where one piece? This one is clearly 3 piece design.
    If this is an original cross, it is either ground dug, or stored so poorly that it is in less than collectable condition, IMO.
    Even if this is an original cross, it is not worth the amount asked in this condition.

You say that this seller has been a member since 2016, he has six posts in four years, and all of them are questioning a tunic that he posted.
    None of his posts have been anything to do with awards.
    If you are unsure of what you are interested in purchasing, I suggest you start a thread and ask for help.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

As far as I know, if that is a war time cross, the pin has been replaced.
    That, IMO, is a known, post war pin, and, this one has been stored poorly as well.

Again, for that price, you should be able to find one in considerably better condition, especially a Souval.
    If you try to sell in the future, I believe you will have a difficult time to recoup your costs.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I will get a refund. Thank you so much for your time.

Default Quality of Reproductions

So, second post here. Very new to collecting 3rd Reich artifacts. I'm quickly learning there is a perpetual minefield of reproductions and fakes especially of the Eisernes Kreuz. I'm curious, how far will people go to reproduce this decoration? Do they make 3 piece ones out of high quality metal? Further more would they go through this effort and not leave a makers mark? I've run recently into a questionable origin Eisernes Kreuz. Its definitely of 3 piece construction. Most likely a zinc core. I cannot bend it with my hands. It measures correctly and weights almost the same as verified brass/zinc core Eisernes Kreuzs. Its a Souval frame and core design and I've been told it resembles a "Souval/Orth hybrid" based on the hardware. It however does not have a makers mark on the pin and the catch is different then you would typically see, however it a accepted Orth type catch. Would somebody go through all this effort to reproduce a cross like this, but not put a makers mark on it to try to really sell it? It just seems strange to me. Furthermore all the reproductions and fakes I have seen are very different and I cant seem to find a replica or fake that matches this cross I have. What has everyone else seen? Do people who make quality reproductions only make one, or one of a kinds? I would love to see some high quality examples of reproductions if anyone has any. I'm just trying to find a cross like this one or a reproduction just like because I'm having a hard time believing this a one of kind original OR fake. I understand the quality of the cross is bad. If it is original its more then likely a dug one or has been poorly kept, regardless I can't find a brass/zinc core 1. Klasse for less then $175 right now. If anyone can find me a link or anything to prove otherwise I would like that too. This is a fact finding mission, not a I want the prove this cross is real mission.

New to collecting. Brass Core Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse real or fake?New to collecting. Brass Core Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse real or fake?New to collecting. Brass Core Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse real or fake?New to collecting. Brass Core Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse real or fake?New to collecting. Brass Core Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse real or fake?

Here is a thread on another forum that should prove to be interesting reading for you. You may even find some of the answers you are looking for.
    Postwar Souval and St&L products in swastika form -

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Ralph.

Thank you! I looked at this article and its fascinating how many postwar medals there really are. I still couldnt find anything comparable to this brass/zinc core Eisernes Kreuz I got. If anybody has any pictures of examples of a similar cross or repro please feel free to post!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast