Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau

Article about: Hi All, Here's a recent arrival: an unmarked Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, with all the characteristics of maker 24, Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Hanauer Plakettenhersteller, Hanau am Main. Maerz &am

Default New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau

Hi All,

Here's a recent arrival: an unmarked Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, with all the characteristics of maker 24, Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Hanauer Plakettenhersteller, Hanau am Main.

Maerz & Alt were a bit more hesitant in their book, to assign these 100% sure to AG H and labeled it as the Unknown Maker 24, but I think it is a quite safe assumption.
    Of course, I do understand you have to be careful when drawing conclusions in a high-end reference work.

This one is worn and the owner bent it a little too convexly, leaving the inner corners raised and the frame seams open at several spots. But as you don't exactly stumble over these, I was happy it was offered to me and I guess it will not fall apart the next 150 years.

Hope you like it!

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau   New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau  

New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau   New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau  

New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau   New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse - 24 AG Hanau
    P
    Many

The only thing that worries me is the cross pin. Its shape and length deviate from the classic pins used in these crosses (Maerz/Stimson page 400-405). Perhaps the cross was repaired and the pin was replaced.
    Robert

?

Original and nicely vaulted cross. I'm with Robert, the pin is completely unlike anything that is usually found on these. A round section of metal pressed and filed flat to fit the hinge, looks like a definite replacement. Replacement pins don't bother me if done well and likely period, shows the award was worn and the owner took care to preserve it.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Yes, indeed! I didn't pay too much attention to the hardware, but indeed the shown needles in the books and online are from the belly-type. Or coke-bottle, whatever alias is preferred.
    This one has a small belly but is far more tapered, I guess. If it is replaced, it looks to me as a wartime job. I can't open the cross for details as the C-hook is rather clenched, and I don't want to force it. Sharp eyes, gentlemen! As Adrian said: good to know, but not a showstopper for me. For this moment I am happy with it!