Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ANZAC Day 2020

Article about: ANZAC Day is 25 April each year, commemorating the landings at ANZAC Cove, Gallipoli 1915 by Australian & New Zealand troops and marked every year in Australia & New Zealand and is a

Default ANZAC Day 2020

ANZAC Day is 25 April each year, commemorating the landings at ANZAC Cove, Gallipoli 1915 by Australian & New Zealand troops and marked every year in Australia & New Zealand and is a public holiday and day to remember the fallen ANZACs in all subsequent wars as well.

The Auckland War Memorial museum has a special photographic collection from Gallipoli and many photos were published in a book a few years ago. The photo below is from the AWM museum collection and shows newly arrived NZ Otago reinforcements in the trenches at Quinn's Post June 1915. Note a spotter using a periscope directs the fire of the sniper at the Turkish trench only 20 metres away. Photograph by Arthur A. Perry.

We will remember them.

ANZAC Day 2020

Hi Anderson, my wife is from Auckland and grandfather was at Gallipoli in 1915 and she’s only 45 so he must have been very young at Gallipoli and very old when he had her mother. I was talking to my neighbor this afternoon and her grandfather was killed at Lone Pine and is buried just in front of the Lone Pine tree. My great grandfather was in the 1st Australian Light Horse but was still in Egypt as the retreat took place. We hope to get over to NZ this year or next and will definitely make sure we take in the museum.

Andy

Sadly due to lockdown restrictions I will be unable to travel to our Anzac cemetery for the annual service, but I will take time to pause, remember and give thanks for the bravery of our Antipodean brothers in arms. May they rest in peace.

I visited ANZAC cove in Turkey in 2012.

I found the Peninsula absolutely fascinating and very moving.

Here are some pictures I took at the cove

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ANZAC Day 2020   ANZAC Day 2020  

ANZAC Day 2020   ANZAC Day 2020  

ANZAC Day 2020   ANZAC Day 2020  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very ironic as it seems like such a beautiful location but obviously we know of its past.
    Tomorrow, the neighbors in my street and my wife and I will stand at the end of our driveways to observe the dawn service with a lighted candle.
    Andy

Hats off to ALL who serve.........
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Another photo from the Auckland WM Museum collection; Shows Sergeant Arthur A. Perry of the New Zealand Otago Battalion mans a Maxim gun at "Russell's Top" Gallipoli, while his number two feeds in the 250 round canvas belt. June 1915.

ANZAC Day 2020

Not to forget the British & French comrades who were also at Gallipoli. This photo shows fully kitted soldiers of the Royal Marine Light infantry Brigade who relieved the NZ Infantry arriving. Photo by Sgt. Arthur A. Perry.

ANZAC Day 2020

Photo titled; " A recent burial No.2 outpost". Stones and shell casings mark the grave of Otago Mounted Rifles trooper William Pyle who was killed in action on 6 August 1915. He was carried back and buried by his brother, a fellow trooper.

ANZAC Day 2020

?

Cheer's to All remembering those men on this day.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Anderson,
    I notice the infantry men in the first pic has a Lee-Metford Infantry Rifle with the 1888 bayonet.
    Was this a common rifle being used at that time for them?

I would have thought they would of had Lee Enfields. even maybe SMLE's.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I attended the ceremonies in Australia in 2003 as part of a US Military contingent, I must say everyone was very hospitable to us!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast