Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Ardennes,Houfflaize Panther Tank Ausf. G,

Article about: Visited the Ardennes over Christmas, thought I would share some pictures of the trip Cheers

Lightbulb

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about the fact it stands in a quarry, the large rocks would not be easy for a tank to negotiate....
    That was absolutely my first impression ! But on thinking further ( actually in response to a query from my wife ) it does make sense. Sure, the rocks don't look at all 'Ardennes '44' '. But having seen the climate damage and spraypaint-vandalism which happens elsewhere ,on closer inspection the rocks are placed to quickly drain away any standing water. The rocks are also sharp and loose .Tough to walk across, and a sign says basically - if you break a leg it's down to you ! As I hope the pics show, my disappointment evaporated when I found that the design of the monument allows all detail to be quite easily photographed, so I wasn't tempted to clamber over it. ( And before my halo gets too tight, I freely confess to having in the past clambered all over the Grandmenil Panther and Vimoutiers Tiger - albeit in soft-soled shoes ).

The whole monument has been well - thought - out IMO ; let's hope that idiots leave it alone......

?

Very well presented relic of the war, as it should be.

And nicely posted Martin, well done.

Pleased to hear I'm not the only person to get up "really close" to the Panzers and Sherman's in the past Martin. I agree about the rocks being a decent vandal barrier too.

Arrow

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    .....(perhaps it is a small reminder of where it ended up after coming off the bridge into the river)..
    I scanned this pic from the (very informative) displayat the monument. One theory is that the guys on the bridge had cut holes under the tank to 'search for Lugers' ( obviously prototype WRF members.... ). This is the Northernmost Houffalize bridge over the Ourthe....

Ardennes,Houfflaize Panther Tank Ausf. G,

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4