Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Arizona Cannon use in a bunker SW side of Oahu

Article about: After the USS Arizona was sunk, one of the artillery pieces were mounted here to be used if an invasion by Japan were to happen, post 7 Dec 1941. I found out about this location just a year

Default Arizona Cannon use in a bunker SW side of Oahu

After the USS Arizona was sunk, one of the artillery pieces were mounted here to be used if an invasion by Japan were to happen, post 7 Dec 1941. I found out about this location just a year or so ago and it was a complete surprise. The link is not mine, nor are the images but for WWII history buffs that have an interest this is posted for you to enjoy.

Hiking Battery Arizona — kenjiSAITO

More images made by another explorer:

Secret Abandoned Bunker – HawaiiFunshine

Default USS Arizona battery salvage image post 7 Dec 1941

USS Arizona battery salvage image post 7 Dec 1941
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arizona Cannon use in a bunker SW side of Oahu  

There are many places on Oahu to explore the old emplacements, casemates, and batteries on Oahu. Here is another:

From Artillery to Archery – HawaiiFunshine

Another battery, located at Kualoa Ranch is open for visitors to see. Kualoa ranch is Hollywoods location for Jurassic Park, 50 First Dates, Nicholas Cage in the Wind Talkers and other movies have been filmed here.

This World War II Bunker Turned Movie Set In Hawaii Is Truly A Sight To See

Here is another bunker here on Oahu, built in 1942 on the Wiliwilinui ridge came to be called “Battery Wilridge”.

Concealed Abandoned Bunker – HawaiiFunshine

MAP
    ?

Pretty incredible condition given the age of these bunkers!

Not sure how many people have been inside one of these turrets (I was in the 16 inch gun turret on the USS New Jersey). But if you have claustrophobia...you wouldn't be comfortable once that hatch closed.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I started a business in 1993 named Blue Water Sports Supplies but morphed it into a company that specializes in corrosion control.

I operated the USARPAC CPAC program (corrosion prevention and control) for about 13 years. My formal training for CPAC came from being in the marine industry for a number of years.

Corrosion COPS (now operated and run by my wife) specializes in all types of corrosion control from DoD tactical equipment, weapons, electronics and steel based concrete structures.

One of the benefits was meeting the local DoD museum curators and doing restoration and preservation work for the museums.

This image of the Diamond Head side canon & helicopter of the FT Derussy museum was 2 of my projects and these were in my care for 12 years. Injuries forced me into retirement but along the way.

Assets preserved for the museums included tanks, artillery pieces and associated towed gun systems as well as aircraft.

From Stryker's to Sherman tanks I've done it all. Image is of FT Derussy battery.

The old pop up cannon system was cut up and dumped into the Pacific ocean off Waikiki, about 3 miles out.

The Cobra helicopter imaged was also under my care for many years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arizona Cannon use in a bunker SW side of Oahu   Arizona Cannon use in a bunker SW side of Oahu  

This link takes you to a web page that has many images of the old shoot and duck system as well as a write up of how they worked.

Fort DeRussy | Images of Old Hawaiʻi