Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Auckland War Memorial Museum

Article about: Recently I took my son to a training course in Auckland city. I had four hours to kill before taking him home so I made a visit to the Auckland War Memorial Museum. It's an interesting colle

Default Auckland War Memorial Museum

Recently I took my son to a training course in Auckland city. I had four hours to kill before taking him home so I made a visit to the Auckland War Memorial Museum. It's an interesting collection that focuses on the colonial NZ land wars, the South African War, WW1, WW2, Malaya, Vietnam and more recent conflicts. Years ago they mainly showed hardware, these days they follow the trend to "tell a story", so less stuff on show than tucked away, but still worth a look if in Auckland.

Auckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial Museum

Some more;

Auckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial Museum

and more..

Auckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland War Memorial Museum

Some interesting and rare exhibits include a New Zealand made Maxim MG from 1915, Sir Keith Park (Battle of Britain) uniform and medals, a rare 1943 model Japanese Zero fighter, (a big hit with visiting Japanese students). A huge collection of the Imperial New Zealand Wars medals, including the only miniature of it I have seen (Colonel C.Bridge of the 58th Regiment). Also spotted, the ultra rare New Zealand Cross that predates the Victoria Cross.

Thanks for showing Anderson
    Old pic I took from the AWM Canberra.
    ANZAC

MAP
    ?

Very nice. Like the Spit with the gear up. I've seen that captured japanese field gun before here on the forum. And had to laugh, one guy must have donated his tinnie collection
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thank you Anderson.
    That is a great looking museum with some wonderful displays.
    I couldn't think of a better way to kill 4 hours!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Sir Keith Park personally flew that Spitfire out from Britain after the war. Camp Hale that was sited outside the Museum (which was built 1925) between 1942-44 was a US Marine Corp camp.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very nice. Like the Spit with the gear up. I've seen that captured japanese field gun before here on the forum. And had to laugh, one guy must have donated his tinnie collection
    Pretty stoked an example of mine is there!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 11-16-2019 at 07:10 AM. Reason: grammer

Thanks for posting these images Anderson. Looks like a great collection. My partner is from Auckland and we plan to go over next year so it will definitely be on the agenda. Her grandfather fought at Gallipoli (he must have been very young when he went and old when he had her mother).

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast