Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bastogne "Nuts" weekend 13 - 15 Dec

Article about: 'anyone going? 'anyone been to this event before? any tips?

Wink

Quote by Composite View Post
    .. overlooked by most as they rushed to drool over something German. Nice camo'd Matilda too....
    Matilda does indeed look interesting - as does quite a bit of the other stuff ( but I don't have the nerve say which ones in the pics I particularly like ! )

Now onto Grand Menil, home of one of the many Panther memorials (shall I just post THAT photograph cos it's German? :-) at least in this thread I don't have to type Einenbigguntankensie every time), the impressive new Manhay History Museum and more mud, rain, hail, sleet, mud and tanks, soft-skins, re-enactors, mud and very happy memories (did I mention the mud?). The Panther itself was pretty much at the centre of things being on what must have been for one weekend only the busiest little roundabout in the area. But folk were just walking past it and paying it little attention…presumably because it wasn’t moving or, possibly as there was no cover from which to enjoy it...I suspect in dryer times there's a prayer mat permanently laid out in front of it :-) There was the usual absence of any H&S and Hi Viz and the chaotic feel to the whole place gave it a massive feel of unintended reality. The Manhay museum was fronted by parked tanks (OK technically one was a Tank Destroyer) - that ground-keeper has one hell of a job on his hands restoring that grass!.... and was full of impressive and innovative dioramas – this was the first time I’d seen flat screens used as windows in ships and cabins to bring additional realism. It also had the usual gift shop BUT it also sold period kit…ammo tins, shell case carriers, helmets…marvelous. However it’s greatest asset by far that afternoon was its roof and its heaters!!

In addition to all this there was a HUGE tent full of folk trying to figure out how to buy food and drink…whatever happened to the good ol’ fashioned exchange of cash for stuff rather than cash for vouchers in place A and exchange for goods in place B?!..anyway the cover and the band provided welcomed relief.

....oh, and there was mud......

Bastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 DecBastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 Dec
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 Dec  

.......but perhaps these last three summed up the whole journey......

Bastogne "Nuts" weekend  13 - 15 Dec

A Dodge (?) under the Christmas tree..... (or next to it if no-one straightens the pic)

.....a glimpse of a ghost appearing to cross a road unnoticed......

and this guy!

I apologise to all those picture-lickers (no, I didn't mean "likers") and Facebook-types who have probably been angered by the proliferation of....errrr....WORDS in these posts....but hope some folk have read this far......mainly cos this took bl**dy ages!!!!

Merry Christmas!!

Seriously, my thanks go out to all who were responsible (especially Leger) for this weekend – it was a hideously wet, windy, cold AMAZING weekend!

Frikken Cheers for the pictures Ade and Merry Christmas

Thumbs up

Many thanks again Composite for a superb thread and report. The Manhay 'do' is the one I'd have loved to have been at ( the Panther being the very first Bulge relic I ever saw, back in 1973.... )

I must say, the countryside looks seasonably wet and muddy - still, roll on my hols in April when I'll be back in the Bulge

's'funny...'always had you down as an Eastbourne kinda guy... :-)

Cool

Appearances can be deceptive !

?

Thank you for your superbe report out of the Ardennes.

We had the pleasure to enjoy the mud with our VWs.

Salut

Alex

?

I was Guiding one of the coaches from Leger , here is a good photo of the "General " , he was travelling with me , even came on my Following General Patton Tour last year !

The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Respect!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast