Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.

Article about: This is a huge Canadian Museum, 60,000 Canadians were killed. The Canadian National Vimy Memorial bears the inscribed names of 11,168 missing Canadians, killed in action in France. Their rem

Default Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.

This is a huge Canadian Museum, 60,000 Canadians were killed.

The Canadian National Vimy Memorial bears the inscribed names of 11,168 missing Canadians, killed in action in France.

Their remains have never been found or identified.

The memorial is huge, two pylon towers, one for the Canadians and the other for France. United together in sacrifice of the Great War.

There are 20 sculpted human figures on the monument.

Between the pylons, two figures comprises a dying soldier who has passed a torch to a comrade.

The mourning figure of “Mother Canada” is on the south side of the memorial.

She stands on the objective for the Canadian Corps, successfully won at the Battle of Vimy Ridge.

Remember the two hills in the back ground? The mourning figure is looking out towards the fields of the dead.

The figure at the top, the highest point, is the figure of peace.

Quite hard to photograph, as it's so big.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.   Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.  

Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.   Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.  

The surrounding fields still show signs of the battles.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.  

The surrounding woods are still full of shell holes and trenches, but parts are still off limits due to the danger from unexploded ordnance. Stretches of the tunnels are also open to the public.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

've been there. Beautiful, peaceful and a fantastic view on the battlefield, up to the horizon.

The guide who was with us Steve, couldn't empharsise the danger still of unexploded ordnance.

Quite (fairly) recently, two workers were blown to smithereens messing about with a UXB..

The top picture shows a electrified fence, yes, electrified.

To stop idiots from standing on uncleared shells and mines.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.   Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.  

CBH
    ?

Thanks for your Canadian memorial photos, I'd love to visit there someday.

If you ever get the time my friend, please visit.

As you pass through the country side, look to your left and right.

You will see small monuments/cemeteries dotted about.

They are all over the place.

You simply don't have time to see/visit them all.

We only visited the main cemeteries.

?

I hope it is ok but I am going to add a few of my Vimy Memorial items. Two of them were given to the 1936 Pilgrimage members. In 1936 6200 Canadian Veterans and members of the Canadian Legion traveled from Montreal to Vimy for the opening of the Memorial. The last one was a medal given out to donating of money to the Vimy foundation in 2017. There is another strike of the 1936 medal and I am always looking out for a Pilgrimage Legion cap but I have only seen a couple of them before.

Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.Canadian National Vimy Memorial, France.