Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Soldiers Grave (Identify Please)

Article about: I took these pictures from St. Peter's cemetery in Salzburg, Austria while on a trip with my German class last May - June. Can you guys identify this grave please? Thanks!

Default German Soldiers Grave (Identify Please)

I took these pictures from St. Peter's cemetery in Salzburg, Austria while on a trip with my German class last May - June.

Can you guys identify this grave please?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Soldiers Grave (Identify Please)  

?

Default Re: German Soldiers Grave (Identify Please)

It seems to be a memorial to the regiment for the dead of WW2 and the Bundesheer.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by RedArmyCollector View Post
    I took these pictures from St. Peter's cemetery in Salzburg, Austria while on a trip with my German class last May - June.

Can you guys identify this grave please?

Thanks!
    It is a Salzburg artillery memorial to a pre-1918 field artillery regiment of the old Austro-Hungarian army; it is also a memorial to the dead of the second world war (notice how no name is used, no mention of the Wehrmacht) and also to the dead of the Austrian Bundesheer, that is the army since 1955 in Austria. The monument is sponsored by an association of gunners/artillerymen, no doubt from Salzburg or the Salzburger Land. It is typical of the kind of memorial you find in almost all German and Austrian locales in the era after 1918. I imagine especially in the period of the Staendestaat, i.e. 1933-1938, a lot of these were put up.

Salzburg is a wonderful place. The Habsburg army is also very interesting too, which is why I asked the leadership to consider its greater role here. Austrians in the Wehrmacht is another theme, and the Austrian Bundesheer is interesting too. I know it quite well.

Happy regalia.

Josef II von Habsburg, Kaiser und Koenig
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Soldiers Grave (Identify Please)  

Donn102
    ?

Hi There, It's not a grave but a memorial or Krieg Dinkmal. It's a memorial to all the dead of that artillery regiment erected by an 'old comrades' type association. An equivilent in London would be the Royal Artillery memorial on Hyde Park Corner; not made out to an individual but all the dead from WW1.

Quote by Donn102 View Post
    Hi There, It's not a grave but a memorial or Krieg Dinkmal. It's a memorial to all the dead of that artillery regiment erected by an 'old comrades' type association. An equivilent in London would be the Royal Artillery memorial on Hyde Park Corner; not made out to an individual but all the dead from WW1.
    The word above is Kriegsdenkmal. This is what I wrote above, although the memorial here started out as one for a specific Habsburg/Salzburg regiment and was enlarged to include a broader number of souls.

Thanks everyone!