Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Germany after the war

Article about: Some interesting colour photographs of West Germany after the war: 36 Amazing Color Photographs of West Germany After the War ~ vintage everyday Nick

Default Germany after the war

Some interesting colour photographs of West Germany after the war:

36 Amazing Color Photographs of West Germany After the War ~ vintage everyday

Nick

TWS
    ?

Thanks for posting.

Amazing all that "rubble" was cleaned up in just a few years. I see pics & films of the piles of concrete, wood...all building materials 12' high...wondered how many years it would take to clean it up.
    Thanks for posting Nick,
    David

Amazing pics ! I would imagine that the picturesque parts of Germany remain the same today. You can't imagine how it must have felt, to rebuild a town/city, that had been destroyed by war, a testament to the human spirit, thanks for sharing !
    Regards
    Paul

I thought the pictures quite thought provoking. Interesting as you say that the vast amount of rubble has been cleared, even in Frankfurt which was heavily bombed. And notice the lack of vehicles - plus of course probably heavily rationed fuel.

Your images strike me as being about 1949 or even later, i.e. they are not directly at war's end. They are from the US zone.

If you want a sense of life in the British sector, this film is my favorite.

Young people today have no sense of war's destruction, whereas when I was young, you still saw lots of effects of the war in the FRG,
    to say nothing of the GDR, which was an entirely different Hausnummer.

YouTube

Interesting to note that the Reichstag building, once the heart of the Reich, stood battle-scarred and derelict until the 1990's when Germany reunified. What a stark and sobering shadow it must have cast over the people who passed it every day, like a giant tombstone, a testament to the horrors and wastefulness of war.

Germany after the war

B.B.

The clearing of the rubble is the story of the Truemmerfrauen, one of whom was my German teacher when I was at university.
    I adored her. The story has been revised, though, that, in fact, in the US zone, for instance, a lot of the rubble was cleared
    later by entirely ordinary means of heavy equipment.

Some of the places you include in these slides are locales in the US zone that were undamaged, i.e. Heidelberg.

War is an intensely stupid thing, and the waste of it beggars all description.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Interesting to note that the Reichstag building, once the heart of the Reich, stood battle-scarred and derelict until the 1990's when Germany reunified. What a stark and sobering shadow it must have cast over the people who passed it every day...

B.B.
    The Reichstag was more or less repaired by about 1960. However, the area adjacent to the wall was scarcely the focus of life in West Berlin,
    and what had been the vital center on the cusp from the Tiergarten to Mitte etc. became a fringe in the divided city.
    The Reichstag was rebuilt in the 1990s to house parliament again to house parliament as it has done since 1999.

You cannot imagine the prospect offered to me as a college student in January 1975 when I first went to East Berlin....
    and on and on....Germany after the warGermany after the war

I am not sure of the date of the image with Willy Brandt, but during his time as mayor, and you can see
    that the building is being repaired.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Interesting to note that the Reichstag building, once the heart of the Reich, stood battle-scarred and derelict until the 1990's when Germany reunified. What a stark and sobering shadow it must have cast over the people who passed it every day, like a giant tombstone, a testament to the horrors and wastefulness of war.

Germany after the war

B.B.
    This is an image from 1940s or early 1950s. It did not look like this until 1990, plainly. I know. I was there often.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast