Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Law's in europe!!

Article about: Can any body tell what is the law when it coms to relic hunt in europe, I understand that every contry has it owns! lets say I took the car and draw to germany whit my meteldetecter to find

Default Law's in europe!!

Can any body tell what is the law when it coms to relic hunt in europe, I understand that every contry has it owns! lets say I took the car and draw to germany whit my meteldetecter to find some stuff or Netherland, belgium, polan. cut I do that whit no worries???

Default Re: Law's in europe!!

Hi Nordland

Metal detecting as far as I know is illegal in:

Belgium
    France
    Netherlands
    Germany

Greetz

Nick VR

Then all this digging and metal detecting I'm seeing around on this forum and on the internet is illegal???

?

Quote by Nick VR View Post
    Hi Nordland

Metal detecting as far as I know is illegal in:

Belgium
    France
    Netherlands
    Germany

Greetz

Nick VR
    I think only Brandendenburg in Germany is forbid to dig
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

The only rule you should follow is, dont get caught

Dimas is right for Germany, also its not allowed on historical sites

Lost Battalion man
    ?

battlefield archeology in European countries is only legal with governmental approval. The fines can be pretty stiff in some places. I know in France if they see stuff in your car and find a metal detector they don't even ask questions - they just take you in. Even if you have permission from the owner of private property, in some places in Europe they can still haul you in.
    All that said, nobody goes out LOOKING for people breaking these laws, unless there is a firm reason to. Otherwise, it is all just chance, and the chances of getting picked up are really pretty slim. Most of it is all about personal morals and intent - which I have my own ideas on, that I'm sure no one wants to hear!

Rob

?

well in norway it's pretty easy rules. if it's a historic site it's a BIG no no. if it's another place not restricted by the law,just get the landowner's permittion and off you go.just remember All finds older than 1537 and coins older than 1650 are to be delivered at the local museum and coins can be delivered directly to Universitetets Myntkabinett in Oslo.

In the UK as far as I am aware its okay with land owners consent, its only forbidden if its registered as a historical site. If you find anything that is gold in the UK then its classed as treasure and you have to hand it in to the governemt as its owned by the crown.....

Hey guys

Here is a link to a site listing the laws in most european countries. Detecting Law

It is interesting to note that many countries do not have a specific law relating to the use of metal detectors. The laws mostly refer to the act of digging a hole to recover an artifact, not how you found where to dig. This creates the possible situation that you spot, for instance, the muzzle of a relic weapon poking out the ground but recovering the whole item would involve you digging a hole.......which then makes it illegal !

Beaches are normally a safe place to search as there are very few countries that enforce laws governing beaches. Certainly in France you cannot search the land, but you can search a beach.

I must correct lost battalion man, (sorry mate), as there are indeed patrols specifically looking for metal detectorists in some areas of France such as Falaise/chambois gap.

Some laws are also not truly 'tested'. The Belgium law for example prohibits metal detector use BUT it has proved extremely difficult to prosecute anyone. Indeed, when i recently visited Belgium you couldn't walk for more than 5 yards in any wooded area without tripping over a detectorists hole !! Which reminds me......when you dig stuff up for heavens sake REFILL THE HOLE !!!

The golden rule is check before you go. Do not assume that if you have the landowners permission you can search......in many countries this doesn't make a spit of difference.

One last thing......you need to be slightly careful in England as there are some areas (particularly old or current firing ranges), that are covered by bye-laws. These bye-laws specifically prohibit the use of metal detectors and also prohibit the removal of any shot, shell, bullet, cartidge and casing from the area. The bye-laws can however work in your favour This is how......If you discover an old firing range and check for a bye-law, if it was a WW2 range the bye-law has often expired....BUT it gives the exact boundaries of the range, down to the last yard !! Makes identifying search areas much easier

Hope this helps

relichunter

?

FRANCE... I don't know what to make of the suggestion of metal detecting in France being illegal or not allowed, as I read somewhere someone saw a Detecting magazine in France at a Newsagent, also here in Australia there is a gold detecting magazine and in the current issue there is an article from a French detectorist about Roman coins he finds in France.. he mentions he gets the permission of the land owner first. There is a photo of him walking a vinyard with a detector. He is aware of this Australian magazine because he comes here on holiday/gold finding trips.

I find it odd to be publicly admiting you break the law like this if it is indeed illegal. Maybe more research is needed.
    C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast