Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

NE Scotland WW2 sites

Article about: Living in the North East of Scotland there are numerous reminders of WW2 from remains of coastal defences, stop lines, anti glider defences and POW camps to aircraft remains and trench syste

Default NE Scotland WW2 sites

Living in the North East of Scotland there are numerous reminders of WW2 from remains of coastal defences, stop lines, anti glider defences and POW camps to aircraft remains and trench systems dug by the Home guard . Fortunatly due to the remoteness of this part of the world and small population much is in good condition,
    So I thought I would start a thread showing what can be found up here in the frozen North. There are other sites I will be photographing and adding to this thread as time goes by,
    Best wishes

RobinNE Scotland WW2 sitesNE Scotland WW2 sitesNE Scotland WW2 sitesNE Scotland WW2 sitesNE Scotland WW2 sitesNE Scotland WW2 sites

Default Re: NE Scotland WW2 sites

[ATTACH=CONFIG]186991
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]
    186990[/ATTACH]NE Scotland WW2 sites
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NE Scotland WW2 sites   NE Scotland WW2 sites  

Very nice images. Thanks for showing. I look forwards to seeing more.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Robin. Some very nice photos. Say, are these bunkers between Burghead and Findhorn? I have visited some of the old WWII bunkers, etc, around Burghead and also between Lossiemouth and the Spey. Years ago I went to the old gun range near the Spey and picked up alot of .303 casings, etc. There were some old bunkers around Kinloss air base, but most are now cut off by fencing. As you say, alot of WWII history here in the NE. I live in Aberdeen, you can even see two bomb craters on the shoreline, left by an aborted German bombing run over the city.

Hi Alexander,

First lot are from Newburgh beach, and yes 2nd lot are from Findhorn. I was walking from The Spey to Lossie a couple of weeks back the fortifications there are in superb condition and like you picked up a number of 303 cases near the old range.
    Culbin sands is worth a visit. This is another area where there were rehersals for d day. Also where the large sand flats are the area is covered with wooden posts used to interfere with glider landings placed when the threat of a German invasion from Norway was considered a real possibility

wow great pics! I live in NE scotland also, where is newburgh beach? I live just 2 miles from the lossie defences so its quite a regular place I go to

Hi Newburgh Beach is the North end of the long beach that runs North from Aberdeen. ( Newburgh is the name of the small town). Its well worth a walk there are various bunkers and emplacements the full length of the beach plus you pass Blackdog ranges. still in use but can wander around if the flags arn't flying. Due to the sands constantly shifting you never know what may appear from the dunes.

Hi Rob,
    nice find and good pics thanks for showing them.

Dave.