Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Norfolk Regiment Gravestone ..Any help please?

Article about: Hello Gents I was walking the mutts the other day with the Missus & I sometimes pop through the local graveyard as it is right next door to my house. I said to the Missus that looks like

?

Default Norfolk Regiment Gravestone ..Any help please?

Hello Gents I was walking the mutts the other day with the Missus & I sometimes pop through the local graveyard as it is right next door to my house. I said to the Missus that looks like a military headstone. & it is!! I have never seen that before so I thought I would take some snaps & see if I can find some more info on him!!. & where he comes from.. I will take a look at our local memorial later in the week to see if he came from my village?. But seeing that he is Norfolk Reg & I live in Lincolnshire so he is a little way from home... Thanks for any info & help ... Cheers Terry. Norfolk Regiment Gravestone ..Any help please?Norfolk Regiment Gravestone ..Any help please?

Here's the link to the CWGC site with his details.

CWGC - Casualty Details

I'll have a look at Ancestry later.

Sad as it appears he died after the end of hostilities, died of wounds I assume.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Terry, 'soldiers died' stated that he was born in Westfield, Leasingham, Lincs, enlisted in Lincoln and died of wounds serving with 9 Bn, Norfolks.

Cheers, Tom

Young lad who died over a week after the War was over....Spanish Flu? War wounds? We may never know, but a horrible Fate, nonetheless.....so young and so late....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Young lad who died over a week after the War was over....Spanish Flu? War wounds? We may never know, but a horrible Fate, nonetheless.....so young and so late....
    From the second link in this thread:

"9th Bn Norfolk Regiment had the Americans on one side and the Sherwood Forresters on the other going from Fresnoy-le-Grand to liberate Brancourt-le-Grand on 8th Oct 1918 and were repelled near a 'sunken road' and pinned down near a railway station where his legs were 'blown off'. We believe this to be Brancourt station which was destroyed during or soon after WW2. We know the Americans 118th infantry 59th Brigade 30th Division liberated Brancourt later on that very same day. He was taken to hospital in Rouen for a while then brought back to hospital up in Whalley in Lancashire and died there on 20th Nov 1918 age 19. He was buried at Helpringham, Lincs."

So I guess we do know.

To his mother after making the journey to Lancashire to visit him in hospital he said, "Don't worry about me mother, you should have seen some of the poor lads". Poor kid, he survived for 6 weeks after being wounded.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

a sad but not unusual story.

Almost 6 weeks in hospital and still returned home in a coffin....such a waste...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for all the info guys very interesting & thanks for your time.. But it still doesn't explain why he ended up in this little one horse village the a corner of this graveyard.... I will dig around a bit more " excuse the pun" see what we can undercover. Otherwise I will tend to his grave... Cheers Terry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast