Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg

Article about: Dear all, Two weeks ago we visited the military museum 'Nationale Militaer Museum" in the lovely town of Diekirch in Luxembourg. It's a very impressive museum and I was just beaten by s

Default Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg

Dear all,

Two weeks ago we visited the military museum 'Nationale Militaer Museum" in the lovely town of Diekirch in Luxembourg. It's a very impressive museum and I was just beaten by such many items shown. It's focused on the Battle of the Bulge at historical ground, the history of the Luxembourg soldiers and the Luxembourg army (e. g. its engagement during the Korean War) are also shown. Another topic is the engagement of Luxembourg soldiers with the Allies and the life of the Luxembourg prisoners of war in Soviet camps who had been pressed in the Wehrmacht.

The figurines and displays looks very authentic. I was very impressed even by the facial features, especially of the crew of the SPW which looks in their sadness so realistic and and not like dummys behind a shop-window. In case of showing some reproductions it is noted.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg   Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg  

Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg   Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg  

Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg  
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

... some more pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg   Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg  

Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg   Our visit 'Musée National d'Histoire Militaire'/''Das Nationale Militär Museum' in Diekirch/Luxembourg  

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

more.

To get some sausage of ground pork makes smiling ...

Often the items are connected with the experience and biography of the veterans

Thanks for the photos, looks like a great place, I've read about the town in the books "The Battle of The Bulge in Luxembourg" vols 1 & 2

Picture from the book I mentioned taken in the Diekirch area. One of my favorite photos from the war. Note that the soldiers have tucked in the hoods for camouflage reasons, not common to see this.

Looks like another must see museum.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Picture from the book I mentioned taken in the Diekirch area. One of my favorite photos from the war. Note that the soldiers have tucked in the hoods for camouflage reasons, not common to see this.
    Dear René,

Very interesting and thank you very much for the information about the book. Maybe you have some more information about this German unit and the general?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    P.S.: Dear all, Thank you very much for kind likes and thanks.

Thank you for taking the time to share your images with the forum!

Mart

Quote by Alter Musketier View Post
    Dear René,

Very interesting and thank you very much for the information about the book. Maybe you have some more information about this German unit and the general?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    P.S.: Dear all, Thank you very much for kind likes and thanks.
    Sorry Alter, no other information other than it is a Volksgrenadier company.
    The books were written by Roland Gaul
    Last edited by reneblacky; 11-26-2017 at 12:58 AM. Reason: added pic

Dear René,

Thank you very much for the information and showing the book volumes (I try to get them too): Company of a 'Volksgrenadierdivision' is a very good hint.

IMO a very interesting and detailed source is also 'The Ardennes - Battle of the Bulge' by Hugh M. Cole which has been published by the U.S. Army Center of Military History.
    Please see https://history.army.mil/html/books/...8-1/index.html where a free download of the book is possible too. Maybe there are more information about this Volksgrenadierdivision in the region of Diekirch.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast