Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

A Real Bulge Relic : Sherman M1(75) at Wibrin

Article about: Only half-a-Sherman ( and only just saved by the local Vicar as the 'scrappers' got to work ). I first visited in 1997 when it was just a heap of rust and I almost ignored it. Thanks to the

Arrow A Real Bulge Relic : Sherman M1(75) at Wibrin

Only half-a-Sherman ( and only just saved by the local Vicar as the 'scrappers' got to work ). I first visited in 1997 when it was just a heap of rust and I almost ignored it. Thanks to the work of subsequent historians ( such as Bergstrom and, especially, Wenkin & Dujardin in their excellent 'Temoins d'Acier' guidebook ) I know better. So no mistake on this trip.

W&J refer to it as being one of the most interesting Bulge relics,despite being cut in half. As the 116th Pz Divn retreated in deep snow from Hotton to Houffalize (and ultimately Germany ) they fought a series of small-unit rearguard actions for tiny villages and bridges, using techniques they'd learned the hard way in the Falaise Gap. The Battle of Wibrin happened on 14 Jan 45, with a small force of German artillery supporting two Panthers and a Stug of the 16th PzRgt emplaced 1000 metres past the village.

Six Shermans entered the village and as they approached the church and bridge they were engaged head-on by the Panthers and Stug. All six Shermans were destroyed in quick succession without loss to the 116th.

The Sherman (described as an M4A3 on the memorial but now disputed as being possibly a late M4(75) with a late '44 75mm barrel has happily now been repainted and placed ona prominent plinth. It's possible (and indeed encouraged) to be able to walk right in....

The four hits are very prominent including the deadly shot clean through the applique armour. I hope the close-ups aren't considered too ghoulish - but for me it was a real moment to reflect on the reality of WW2 tank warfare. Arguments rage about whether it was the Stug or a Panther or even both but it's scarily good shooting , and men died in this tank.

It's now agreed that the famous 'banana skin' gunbarrel damage was caused when either the scrappers or a US clean-up team found a shell lodged inthe barrel.

It's a must-see for the Bulge tourist ; like so many other Allied tanks it drove all the way here from Normandy to be knocked out by an elite Panzer force in brutal conflict. A sacrifice to be respected.

It looks a lot tidier now then when I first came across it back in 1990, back then it was almost hidden by undergrowth and the interior area was green with moss! I know it as the "Chopped Sherman from Wibrin".

?

Hi, thank you for the story, interesting and I liked it.
    Regards,
    Peeloo

Thumbs up

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    It looks a lot tidier now then when I first came across it back in 1990, .
    Yes, on this trip I bypassed all the usual things ( KG Peiper, Bastogne,etc ) in favour of the area of fighting between Houffalize and Hotton ( so Wibrin Sherman, 'Hogan's 400' etc). Much is changing in the Ardennes with many old buildings being expensively renovated and restored, losing much evidence of the fighting.

Just along the road from Wibrin is the little village of Nadrin where I stood on the brakes to photograph this....

Here’s one of my old ones for comparison.