Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Resisitence Memorial Brittany

Article about: I have just returned from a holiday in Brittany where I satyed with friends who own a b and b close to the small town of Baud. They took us to another b and b close by. Directly outside the

Default Resisitence Memorial Brittany

I have just returned from a holiday in Brittany where I satyed with friends who own a b and b close to the small town of Baud. They took us to another b and b close by. Directly outside the property is a memorial to four members of the house who were executed by the Germans on 10th Febuary 1944. Their names:
    Charles Ihuello
    Louis Avery
    Pierre Ferrand
    Guy Moysan.
    They were suspected of being in the resistence by the Germans.

I was told that the end of the house shown in the picture is the wall that they were shot against. There are two different dates next to the names but I am unsure what for. I am still trying to research them as the information I was given was a little sketchy.

The property I stayed in was visited by a woman who lived in the property when she was a child in the war. (not while I was there). She told my friend that Germans entered the house with machine guns looking for resistence members. She hid in an upstairs attic room with her sister. The street outside was full with soldiers and vehicles.

From my understanding the resistence movement was very previlent in the Brittany area. There is a museum in the village of Reguiny close by which I also visted. I will upload the pictures and information. This museum is dedicated to SOE, the resistence as well as the occupation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Resisitence Memorial Brittany   Resisitence Memorial Brittany  

Default Re: Resisitence Memorial Brittany

So many places like this one in France.....
    Nazi barbarism was not a legend,and Britanny was with some others french departements,a great place for Resistance.Britains still keep nowadays their independant spirit with their own language beside french language.

kc1
    ?

Default Re: Resisitence Memorial Brittany

They may have been taken prisoner in February but they weren't executed until the dates shown in March and April. Which would make sense if the occupying power wanted to find out who else was in the cell rather than summary execution at the point of arrest. It can't have been much of a search if two people in the attic weren't discovered. This would tend to belie the myth of the super efficient nazi terror machine keeping certain parts of Europe under the jackboot. Its surprising in some countries how few occupying troops there were and how few resources the gestapo had to keep German order.
    Bretons are still proud of their culture, they bomb McDonalds and loathe Parisians with a passion.