Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now

Article about: OK, let me first start with a disclaimer. I have discovered the following information in many online documents, and where I have used words ‘verbatim’ I will indicate the source. The rem

Thanks all!! ..... yes, exciting as relic hunting is, I HAVE to put my spoilsport hat on and remind all of the inherent dangers ( still ) of doing such exploration.
    Ammunition is still live and the remains of M39 & M24 grenades can still go BOOM - which is why digging in the Orne valley is still prohibited and metal detecting dissuaded.

That's it - my duty as the fun police is done ...let's continue!
    Last edited by Danmark; 03-14-2021 at 11:31 PM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Great work many thanks for your effort and sharing

Why was there SO MUCH destruction? ... well the RAF and the USAAF had a lot to do with it. While the weather back in June had been terrible, the skies over the Falaise gap were perfect and the Luftwaffe opposition tolerable and so they ( almost ) had free reign for a "turkey shoot" of the retreating Germans.

The following extract is from PROJECT OVERLORD: The RAF and the Battle of the Falaise Pocket and reproduced here....

The fighters and fighter-bombers of 2 Tactical Air Force found increasing numbers of targets moving north-east into the area of the Falaise Pocket on 13 August. Between the 13th and the 16th, their pilots claimed the destruction of some 500 motor vehicles and 40 tanks and armoured vehicles. On the afternoon of the 17th, when vast German columns converged on the Dives crossing points, 83 Group claimed to have destroyed or damaged 600 German vehicles. Their account of events the following day deserves to be quoted verbatim.

Like most battles, the great plan to encircle the German forces in Normandy took longer than was expected to reach its climax, and the targets that we have been awaiting for nearly a week did not appear until today.

No better targets have, however, been offered in the course of the war. All mobile forces in the Argentan area - the majority being from Panzer divisions - were forced into a narrow funnel by the allied advance, and emerged at CHAMBOIS S.E. of TRUN. From here they pressed N.E. towards VIMOUTIERS and on to BERNAY. A mass of M.T. and tanks jammed the roads in this area, and were attacked with every available A/C in the Group.

As the roads became blocked with burning vehicles, some drove off into the woods, some were abandoned where they stood, and some were seen heading back westwards in order to find a free road. The usual mass of ambulances was reported, and even white flags were reported from VIMOUTIERS. In all this mass of equipment, it is possible that some tanks and M.T. were attacked more than once. Even, however, if the “destroyed” figures only are taken, it is obvious that a very damaging blow has been struck at the most dangerous portion of the German Army in France.

18 August witnessed the greatest destruction, as 2 TAF hit convoys heading from the Pocket to Vimoutiers – the area that was soon christened the ‘Shambles’. Subsequently, Allied ground troops closed on Trun and Chambois, forcing an extension of the bomb-line that prevented further air attacks inside the Pocket. 2 TAF’s focus then shifted north-east, to the area between Vimoutiers and the Seine.

Ultimately, some 5,644 destroyed, damaged or abandoned German vehicles were counted in the Shambles, including 358 tanks and self-propelled guns. Operating over a somewhat larger area on the 18th, 83 Group claimed 3,003 mechanised vehicles destroyed or damaged and 164 tanks – the result of some 1,318 sorties, 1,041 of which were armed reconnaissance sorties sent out to find targets of opportunity.

So there you go - over a thousand sorties over 7 days, with rockets and cannon raining down on the terrified troops shredding all in its path!!!

With all that death - any sane man would have had enough - and these photos are of Hauptmann Rauch surrendering his men to the Canadians in St Lambert. ( ATB issue 8, pg 17-18 )

And with safety and hot food as an alternative to a violent end ...... who wouldn't surrender!!

Lightbulb

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Thanks all!! ..... yes, exciting as relic hunting is, I HAVE to put my spoilsport hat on and remind all of the inherent dangers ( still ) of doing such exploration.
    Ammunition is still live .....
    Yes, sorry, I should have pointed that out (again!) with my pics. The live rifle rounds were, as always, left in the field....and the pile of shells and mortar bombs near the River Dives remained untouched and even un-photographed. But I have to confess - the Gewehr 43 receiver came home with me and remains to this day a great memento and item in my collection.

Great thread guys - thank you.

Martin....do you ever just go to the beach with an ice cream?

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    With all that death - any sane man would have had enough - and these photos are of Hauptmann Rauch surrendering his men to the Canadians in St Lambert. ( ATB issue 8, pg 17-18 )

And with safety and hot food as an alternative to a violent end ...... who wouldn't surrender!!

The top and middle photos are taken just to the North of St Lambert on the road to Trun , the Officer with the Pistol and Binos is Major David Vivian Currie VC . He commanded C Squadron of the South Alberta Regiment ( SARS ) , they were the Armoured Recce unit of Canadian 4th Armoured Division and was awarded the VC for his bravery in action whilst Commanding a Battle Group based on his Squadron of 15 Shermans , Infantry and Anti Tanks Guns who stopped the Germans breaking out of the pocket Northwards towards Trun . They held the front and took 2000 pows also destyroyong numerous German Tiger ,Panthers and 88 mm Guns from the HJ Division KG .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The house on the right with the hole in the roof is still there and is where the Currie VC Memorial now stands .

Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and nowScrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Smile

Quote by Composite View Post

Martin....do you ever just go to the beach with an ice cream?
    Hmmm...let me think.........I did go to Omaha Beach once ; couldn't find any ice creams, though.....

?

Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and nowScrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now

Some photos of Moissy Ford as it is now .

1st July 1916

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast