Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now

Article about: OK, let me first start with a disclaimer. I have discovered the following information in many online documents, and where I have used words ‘verbatim’ I will indicate the source. The rem

?

thank you for sharing it with us.

?

yes in stead of tearing them down, they rebuilt them and continued living in them, 77+ YRS later!!

Great pictures and comments!

I don't think any one of us could fathom out the destruction and death in those country lanes.

Is there a "local" museum any where near?

Arrow

Back to the 'scrap' thread heading....back in 2008, these bits could be seen by the track leading off the road over the bridge at St. Lambert-sur-Dives ( note genuine Normandy orchard in background ). Before you go rushing off to find them, they were a popular subject on French forums at the time ; I'd reckon they've been long since 'recovered'.

?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Great pictures and comments!

I don't think any one of us could fathom out the destruction and death in those country lanes.

Is there a "local" museum any where near?
    The nearest Museum is the one on Mont Ormel on the Camabois -Vimoutiers road , it's on Hill 262 or the Mace to the Poles of Polish 1st Armoured Division whose defensive stand on the Hill from the 19th-22nd August 1944 was one of the fiercest but still little known of the Normandy Campaign , a BG of 1500 men went onto the Mace and only 100 walked off when relieved by the Canadian Grenadier Guards . The old Museum in Falaise was closed and the contents which were fantastic moved to Ohaha beach where it is now in the Overlord Museum , arguably the best Museum in Normandy now .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The ford at Moissy was not the only crossing of the river Dives - there were TWO small bridges at St Lambert as well - but these were the first to get clogged and become impassable. Here is what they look like today - an idyllic French scene....

Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now

The main road bridge in the foreground and the smaller field bridge in the background.

Compared to August 1944.....

Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Arrow

This one qualifies as 'scrap' in 1944, but sadly not in 2008 ! Just a few yards up from the bridges in St Lambert. Not a single Panther nut and bolt to be seen in 2008, but the barn in the background ( slightly obscured by trees ) is the same....

This thread seems to be generating a lot of interest - there are now a number of good guidebooks and magazines about the Falaise Gap. For anyone who is keen to visit the area, I thought I'd recommend one of my favourites shown below.Published in 2007, it's well worth tracking down. It's in French, but that's no problem as it's mainly a pictorial essay. It has many photos of wrecked vehicles in the Gap, together with relics which have found in recent years, plus numerous 'then & nows' and colour aerial views which make for good orientation when you're there.....

Bonne chance !

Post any and all publications you want, Martin.
    The idea is to get it all into the one thread.
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Still relevant even now. Panzers in Normandy Then & Now

Rückmarsch Then & Now, does also show some graphic results from the corridor of death

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now  

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast