Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Sites of interest - Rheindahlen & Paderborn

Article about: I'm in Germany for a few weeks at Rheindahlen and then Paderborn with the military and I was wondering what sites of local interest there may be from WW2? Transport is very limited so I'm lo

Default Sites of interest - Rheindahlen & Paderborn

I'm in Germany for a few weeks at Rheindahlen and then Paderborn with the military and I was wondering what sites of local interest there may be from WW2? Transport is very limited so I'm looking for immediate area around/in the camps.

Any forum members live in the area?

Default Re: Sites of interest - Rheindahlen & Paderborn

skypilot, go to the site of the old Sennelager Panzer training camp, on the outskirts of Paderborn...if its still there (last there in 1975!). This is where the video of the line-up/parade of King Tigers was taken prior to the battle of the bulge, my father was there just after the war (1952) and said it was still full of Panzers in various states of decay, however when I visited in 75' there were just some rotting hulks on the firing range. See if there is anything left now !
    Prost ! Steve.

I was there in '80. Worth a visit to soak up the history ! If I can remember I dont think the Damns are far away

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

If you go to Bruggen javelin Bks, go to Hill 60 which is part of the Siegfried line, still a few German bunkers there. Also go out of camp turn left toward Roermond as you go down hill and the woods stop on your left (1.5 mile from camp gates)park up and walk down the track. There is a 6ft granite stone to commemorate the spot where the Germans executed the Mayor of Roermond and dozens of other resistance folk.

Just spent the last 3 days at Javelin and saw the Hill 60 sign this morning! D'oh! I just assumed it was a reference to the WW1 site of the same name as I knew the airfield was post-war. Will have to try and blag an excuse to pop back there.

Off to Paderborn on Monday for a week. I gather that the viewing tower Hitler used to review his armour is still there.