Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Somme now and then.

Article about: A film that I find immeasurably sad though thoughtfully and beautifully made. The faces of the soldiers asking “why are we here” , sheer exhaustion, missing families and loved ones. Such a t

Default The Somme now and then.

A film that I find immeasurably sad though thoughtfully and beautifully made. The faces of the soldiers asking “why are we here” , sheer exhaustion, missing families and loved ones. Such a tragedy.

Andy

YouTube

Very well done and certainly very emotive. Thanks for posting the link.

Brilliant!

That is just the kind of thing to get through to the youngsters of the "video generation" and help them appreciate those monumental events. Just the same way as good living history events and presentations do. It is better in that regard than all the books ever written on the subject because they are just print on a page to kids! This has an element of reality to those who live by CGI these days.

I'm sending the link to my grandchildren (one of whom is a bit of an IT geek!) immediately.

My only moan; I love classical music but I thought most of the soundtrack was a dirge (not relevant to the message at all I know) until the end and "I vow to thee my country" (Sir Cecil Spring-Rice /Gustav Holst) followed by "Nimrod" (Sir Edward Elgar), two of my favourite pieces of the genre

Those two pieces have an actual physical effect on me every time.

Thanks for posting this

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-29-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Many thanks for that link Andy . From now on , every time I think I am having a hard time or being put on , I will remember that film and know how lucky I am !! I shall always remember them , RIP .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

When you visit the Somme, as I did recently, and see for yourself the fields where the battles took place, it's heart breaking.

Paying your respects to teenagers (some 14/15 years old) in the local cemeteries, you just wonder.

They never stood a chance.

KNOWN UNTO GOD.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Somme now and then.   The Somme now and then.  

?

Thank you for posting that video Andy, Very sobering to see the Now and Then.

In the part with the mine blowing up, the after shows a row of tree there, Is the crater still there behind the tree's?

Semper Fi
    Phil?