Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Switzerland`s world war two defenses

Article about: I have started new project, the documentation of swiss ww2 defenses. A thread all related to bunkers and all sort of fortifications in Switzerland. KOBLENZ: Starting off in Koblenz, the tour

Default Switzerland`s world war two defenses

Spending the last year in Germany i have now moved to Switzerland and have started new project, the documentation of swiss ww2 defenses.
    This is a thread all related to bunkers and all sort of fortifications in Switzerland.

KOBLENZ:

Starting off in Koblenz, the tour of Koblenz Aare railway bridge.
    The bridge currently still has 4 MG nests and one bunker on the right side, 100 meters from the passing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Switzerland`s world war two defenses   Switzerland`s world war two defenses  

Switzerland`s world war two defenses   Switzerland`s world war two defenses  

KOBLENZ:

About 100 meters from the bridge there is a 1938 bunker still with remains of a camouflage pattern.
    Perhaps still the original paint ? Seems to be.
    This infanterie bunker has two MG ports, one on each side
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Switzerland`s world war two defenses   Switzerland`s world war two defenses  

And the "field office photo" from this part of Koblenz.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Switzerland`s world war two defenses  

REUENTHAL :

The small town of reuenthal, near the river rhine is full of bunkers, trenches, anti-tank barriers and a fortress.
    This is a 1938 infanterie casemate with two MG11 ports, one on each side.

CBH
    ?

I have also read that most Swiss bridges and tunnels are set for demolition at a moments notice.
    With pre-existing charges always in place, you can't be too careful I guess.
    Great photos.

Hi, you are right.
    I have been to a few that still have the explosives location and from what i gathered, some of the bridges were armed in the pillars and also in both passage points.
    The also armed tarmac and gravel roads.
    I heard of mine fields but that, so far, i cannot confirm.

Welcome to Stadel, the" field office photo" near the anti-tank traps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Switzerland`s world war two defenses  

STADEL :

Welcome to fortified passage area of Stadel, built in 1940.
    A combination of 2 km of tank traps, elevated dirt hills, infanterie and kannon bunkers, and explosive armed gravel passage roads.

STADEL :

Starting with the two kannon bunkers on the Hill above.
    Providing direct fire above the tank traps, these should make any enemy troops retreat.
    The entrance is located in a dense forest area and was kept in use well after ww2, until 2000`s and even upgraded with centurion tank turrets.

STADEL :

In this series of photos, its depicted the type of concrete tank traps used in Stadel.
    These combined with elevated dirt hills, would slow and even stop enemy tank movement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast