Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tank Graveyards - Australia had them too!

Article about: You know I am EXTREMELY jealous of you Europeans who can do a day's trip to take in the old battlefields and hunt for relics but there ( was ) a time when we here in Oz could find similar tr

Default Tank Graveyards - Australia had them too!

You know I am EXTREMELY jealous of you Europeans who can do a day's trip to take in the old battlefields and hunt for relics but there ( was ) a time when we here in Oz could find similar treasures to the scrapyards of the continent.

Back in 1990 I did a relic hunting trip down to the border of NSW and Victoria where I knew of several old scrapyards that word about town said, were being "tidied" up. Urban spread had dictated the value of the land was worth more than the value of the scrap!!

The first was Plum & Crichton Scrap-metal Merchants in the town of Albury / Wodonga - well known for having HEAPS of WW2 allied armour as well as Korean and Vietnam surplus.

Sadly, I missed it by a few weeks as the yard was almost cleared out! grrr....

( sorry but I didn't have a digital camera in those days )
    Last edited by Danmark; 03-09-2021 at 05:48 AM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

1990 & no digital camera! REALLY!!!

Disappointed but determined, I drove another 50km up the Murray River ( the border between the two states ) to the town of Corowa, as I heard there was a company there - Upton Engineering - that had a lot of scrap too ( M3 Grants, Matildas, Buffalo Amphibians, Vietnam APCs etc.. ) that they had bought after the war to use parts from for their company that made irrigation tractors and other such equipment.

Luckily, it was a scrap paradise - all for sale and not too expensive! Here are some photos...

Tank Graveyards - Australia had them too! Tank Graveyards - Australia had them too! Tank Graveyards - Australia had them too!

Again, don't go rushing there - I believe it too has all been cleared out ......

I have a few things left from my haul back then ( many were sold on ) but you'll have to wait a bit longer to see them ...

The only other one I know that still has armour in situ is the NSW / South Australia desert border town of Murrayville.

Here in plain view ( and not for sale ) are Matilda and M3 Grants - several complete, several that have been someone's spare parts stash for many decades.
    Type "Murrayville tanks" into your search engine of choice and you will find more photos ..... here is a CURRENT Google Maps street view !!

And what do I have left from MY scrapyard trip of 30 years ago ......... drum-roll please

Sorry to disappoint - all that's left is a Grant drive sprocket, some Matilda bits and a jeep combat rim......

(Sold the Matilda drivers seat, towing hooks and gear selector, Grant hatches and gunners seat many years ago )

Cheers, Dan

God knows what that dash is!?!

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    God knows what that dash is!?!
    "jeepers creepers" you're flash today Rene

Quote by Danmark View Post
    "jeepers creepers" you're flash today Rene
    Crap... I forgot I have one in the garage!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast