Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A Trip To Normandy

Article about: It would seem madame Gondree who served me was quite miserable? maybe they forget its not just about making money!!! I still bought a T shirt though as its something you cannot get anywhere

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Default Re: A Trip To Normandy

It would seem madame Gondree who served me was quite miserable? maybe they forget its not just about making money!!! I still bought a T shirt though as its something you cannot get anywhere else, its still in its bag un worn though

I went to every shop, café and building in St Mére Église i think!!!!, its such a fantastic town.

the small militaria shop that is owned by a British guy was by far the most interesting, and price wise was better than others i saw, he had just had a stack of 10 German helmets come in, all still lodged on top of one another covered in mud dug up from the edge of a field where some road works were taking place, they all looked quite beaten up but were mostly complete apart from the top one which was rotted through 100 euro`s each, i was tempted

I am going back next year for the celebrations so will be saving some money for a small shopping trip, i had to put the trip off this year due to various reasons but that will make it all the more special when i go next year

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

I am sorry

what i meant to say was that the madame who served me was smilling brightly and singinging a cheery song a she politely said please and thankyou as she took almost 50 euros off of me me for 4 cups of coffee and a t shirt!

I dont think i or anyone else was slating her/them just stating my experience, you only get 1 chance to make a 1st impression!!!!

I dont think there is any need to spring to her defence even if you had known her since D-day! im sure she is fine with who she is, she just does not seem outwardly very happy that is all i said!

Hi Guys, I have only been to the Pegasus Bridge Cafe once, back in 1989 for the 45th Anniversary of D Day. (Showing my age again!) We were made welcome. Major Howard and Wally Parr were both there and it was there I first met them I must say Madame Gondree does seem to provoke quite extreme opinions. Some of the Vets love her, while others have a strong dislike of her. But this is just human nature

Cheers, Ade.

?

I've known Arlette though not as a friend for many years through taking back groups of 6th Airborne veterans for D Day etc , you must have heard about Arlette being very rude to John Howard and ordering him out of the cafe ?

She is a very attractive, articulate and personable woman but i know what Bellerophons Horse is saying and all he was doing was giving his own experience, sometimes she can be rather unwelcoming and i have to say her treatment on occasions of some of the vets i have been with from 7,8,12 and 13 Para has been very rude.

That said the place is the most iconic Battlefield Cafe in the world especially for Airborne boys and is a must for any visitor to Normandy, i have spent many a happy hour there on the 5th/6th/7th June and the fact that it is what it is 65 years later is of great credit to the Gondree family.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Bottom line is i'll still be there this year on D Day having a great time with all the old boys and it'll be great to see Arlette again, mind i'd have liked to have met her about 40 years ago !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Great pictures. A friend of mine is going to Normandy later this month. I really envy him. It is one of those things I want to do before I die, but I doubt I ever will. Again, really great pictures.

Quote by Bellerophons Horse View Post
    some more

Orglandes German Cemetary, due to many factors a lot of German cemetarys are not in perfect places, or even what would be deemed planned, this cemetary was old farmland and has heavy slopes, it has over 10,000 German soldiers killed in heavy fighting in the region after D-day
    the contrast between German, American and Allied cemetaries is remakably different, German graves tend to be double sided and very gothic and clynical, Brithish and other allied graves are very much like the "rose garden" and American are large and impossing

Thanks for sharing those picture it reminded me some good memory from 1995 when i went there .
    A small question for you i went to a german cemetary who if i remember was in la Cambre so the one you posted the pics is from where in normandy ?
    Thanks !
    Frenchy

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Thanks for the + comments on the photos guys

Orglandes Cemetary is near a small village called Le Ham near Montebourg which is not far from St Mére Église, it was originally an American cemetary for casualties from Utah and subsequent inland fighting, but was at some point changed to German

Le Cambre is the massive German cemetary at the side of the N16motorway, its very easy to spot due to the "lollipop" trees that line its boundaries

I am off to Avranchés in July 09 to a town called Ducey, and will be hoping to get to some of the places i never managed to get to last time, I will definately be returning to Pegasus Bridge at Ranville/Merville as that has to be one of the best places i have ever visited, although i really want to explore Aromanche and Falaisé a little bit more if i can

so watch this space for some more pics!! and hopefully some more battle field finds

Great thread, thanks for sharing the very thought provoking pictures of your trip.

?

Fantastic pics, been to the museum at Pegasus bridge, where I donated a MK 3 Sten, back in 1990

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast